Distinct Count in a pivot table IF greater than a specific value

dayday123

Hello All -

using the data model i can easily use the distinct count but I am looking for a way to not only do a distinct count but a distinct count when a certain other value is met. For example based on the below table:

If i were to pivot the data and do a count of "Product" it would show 5
If I did a distinct count of "Product" it would show 3
How can I do a distinct count of "Product" only when the total quantity exceeds 100 - which should be a count of 2

Is there any way to do this in a pivot table?

Thanks so much in advance!

ProductMonthQuantity
Product 1Jan105
Product 2Jan90
Product 2Feb20
Product 3Jan50
Product 3Feb30

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
maybe
ProductSum of QuantityDistinct Count of Product
Product 11051
Product 21101
Grand Total2152

Value filter - Sum of Quantity greater than 100

Upvote 0
You can put a value filter on the pivot table, filter to show only products where the sum of quantity is greater 100, then distinct count on that.

Upvote 0
filter for post#2
vf.png

pivot table
I forgot to say these two words :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
or you can do the same but with months
ProductMonthSum of QuantityDistinct Count of Product
Product 1Jan1051
Product 2Jan,Feb1101
Grand Total2152

with filter from post #4

but in this case you'll need Power Query
Code:
// Table1
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Quantity", Int64.Type}}),
    Group = Table.Group(Type, {"Product"}, {{"Quantity", each List.Sum([Quantity]), type number}, {"Count", each _, type table}}),
    Month = Table.AddColumn(Group, "Month", each Table.Column([Count],"Month")),
    Extract = Table.TransformColumns(Month, {"Month", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text}),
    Result = Table.ReorderColumns(Extract,{"Product", "Month", "Quantity", "Count"})
in
    Result

Upvote 0
Any pivot table can do this. (Being such a specific requirement it is more suited to a query.)

To explain a manual way to set it up. Give the data a simple defined name, such as "YourData". Save the file.
From a new file (CTRL-N), start the pivot table wizard ALT-D-P & choose external data source at the first screen. OK. Then 'Get Data', Excel files, OK, browse for the file, choose it, then select the data (YourData), pick some/any fields and continue to the end of the wizard & choose the option to edit in MS Query, Finish. Then the SQL button & replace the text you see by
Code:
SELECT COUNT(*) AS [YourDistinctCount]
FROM (SELECT Product
FROM YourData
GROUP BY Product
HAVING (Sum(Quantity)>100))
OK to enter that, OK to acknowledge a message about query can't be represented graphically. See the resultset. (This could ultimately be left like this as a query on the worksheet. Refreshable just like a pivot table. But we'll stay with the requested pivot table.) Via the open door icon exit MS Query and complete the pivot table (or query table). The whole worksheet containing the pivot table can if you wish be moved into the source data file.

cheers

Upvote 0
maybe
ProductSum of QuantityDistinct Count of Product
Product 11051
Product 21101
Grand Total2152

Value filter - Sum of Quantity greater than 100

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it. I think however I was unclear. I don't think i can use value filters because i don't want to bring the 'quantity' metric into my pivot able. So for example if I brought month in then the pivot table would look like this:

Row Labels​
Distinct Count of Product​
Jan
1​

because in January only one product has a quantity greater than 100 and in february no products are greater than 100. And if I didn't bring in the month but still wanted my quantity filter to apply the pivot would just look like this:

Distinct Count of Product​
2​

Upvote 0
post expected result from you example from post#1

If i did a regualr data model pivot i would expect to see images 1 and 2. But what i want to do is add a quantity filter to the pivot table as a whole so that instead I would get images 3 and 4.

I hope that makes sense!

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back