Distributing Excel 2010 VBA Add-in

robertgama

Board Regular
Does anyone know if it's possible to distribute an Excel add-in in such a way that it can be easily updated without having to resend out the file to the users?

I was considering packaging up some functions and distributing it, but I realized that ensuring everyone is on the latest version would probably be a concern.

I must have done something wrong since I searched the forum for Add-in and got 0 results.

Thanks,

Rob.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Maybe for the purposes of future users viewers of the thread, we can layout the steps to take again for them (to accompany the help file that you provide).

1. Create a local directory for the users' add-in that is the same for everyone [Ex. C:\_Excel\AddIns\]
  2. Put your add-in on a server directory [Ex. \\javsbs01\Tech Files\Software\Microsoft\Office\Shared Excel Add-ins] - FOR USERS TO COPY TO THEIR LOCAL DIRECTORY
  3. Edit the text file to add the information for at least one add-in [Ex. GamaExcelAddin, auto, C:\_Excel\AddIns\, (\\javsbs01\Tech Files\Software\Microsoft\Office\Shared Excel Add-ins\GamaExcelAddin)] and put in the server directory - FOR USERS TO COPY TO THEIR LOCAL DIRECTORY
  4. Put my add-in in the proper server directory [Ex. \\javsbs01\Tech Files\Software\Microsoft\Office\Shared Excel Add-ins\GamaExcelAddin]
  5. Go to the client machine and load your add-in from their local directory (In Excel 2010, File->Options->Add-ins->Manage Excel Add-ins)
  6. It prompts them to notify them that there is not a local copy of the add-in and asks them if they would like to update from the server, they should select yes.

You may want to update your modules to add the following statement to the top of both your code modules:
Code:
Option Private Module

This will just ensure that all your functions (getAuthor, etc.) don't show up when users go to select a user-defined function from within Excel.

Cheers,

Rob.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if anybody here is still active, but I wondering if minimaster can upload his updated AddinLoader again because the link is dead...
Thank you all for the great effort and support to the excel community :)

Robert,

I modified the addin loader from Decision models to provide a means for automatic updates of addins.
the modified version can be downloaded from here: Download AddinLoaderV2.zip

First you need to modify the content of the addinload.txt file to contain the local path to the addin file and as well the path to the network directory where the updates are being placed.
then you can install the AddinloaderV2 as a new addin.
After starting Excel you can access the settings for updates in the "About" menu.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back