Dividing a column of numbers into equal groups

Cybertech

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet with 32 rows of numbers in column A. I need to divide the rows into X number of groups where the sum of the numbers in the rows of each group are as equal as possible to the other groups. The number of groups will very depending on various circumstances.

I’ve tried various suggestions I found searching the forum, but I can’t get any of them to work properly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a formula that might work here? I’ve attached an image with rows of numbers from one of the datasets. In this case I am looking to separate the numbers into six equal (as equal as possible) groups.

Thanks!

Attachments

• picture002.jpg
    picture002.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 27

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Give me the sample data using XL2BB and also update your profile and here about the version of Excel you are using. I can probably help you with this.

Also, it is important that the column just contains number and nothing is there in any other column corresponding to it. Give me sample data as close to real data as possible to help you.

Upvote 0
Here is an example of an actual dataset. The goal here is to divide these rows into six groups where the sum of the numbers in each groups is as even as possible. I have stripped everything other than the actual numbers involved.

Example Data.xlsx
A
Sheet1

Thanks

Upvote 0
I want to do this in excel also. there an online tool that will do this for you if that helps?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back