Dividing and linking dashboards and data online

Nanaia

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I'm not sure if this should be an Excel post or a SharePoint post. If it needs moved, please say so.

HELP! I need help finding reference material/instructions on how to split a file into two files and keep them linked when they're stored on a SharePoint server.

I have an Excel file I created nine months ago that you guys have helped a lot on. It combines 40 different files into one and has 91 different dashboards linked to the data. The file was created with the "Keep everything in one file" request in mind so no queries or external links were used.

Now the file has been moved to the SharePoint server and has so many calculations in it that the connection for the data entry person is timing out when they're entering the data. I've been asked to split the existing file into two files with data into one file and the dashboards and "staging" in another file. The only references material I can find online on how to link files and keep the files linked explains how to create the data files and dashboards and how to link them when creating. I cannot find information on how to divide an existing file.

I have copied the file on my computer and divided it successfully (although you have to have both files open for the dashboards to update). As soon as I move both files to the SharePoint they can no longer find each other. Does anyone know how to do this? Do you know of any reference material or videos that can help? I'm reaching out in hopes that I don't have to re-create the file I've been working on for the last nine months.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Does this help?

Thank you.

I found that earlier. It discusses creating new files but not how to divide and link existing data. I feel like I'm treading uncharted waters here but think that's highly unlikely. There's always a way, the trick is finding it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back