dividing data set into random groups based on mean values

carlosesanchez

Hi, is there a way to divide a data set of values that have a patient number and value (i.e. patient # 2 and 1032.34) into equal groups, based on the mean values within the created groups? I am trying to randomize 24 patient values based on a single value and put them into similar groups based on mean values. Thanks in advance for your help...

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

gardnertoo

There are six ways to divide 24 specimens into groups containing equal numbers. Groups of 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12 patients. How do you want to choose which of those six group sizes to use? I thought maybe you would use standard deviation. I've been playing with excel's RAND() function, and calculating the standard deviation for the resulting groups, ranked in numerical order. Almost every sample results in smaller standard deviations for the two-patient groups than for any other grouping, with 3-patient groups coming in second and 4-patient groups coming in third. I got the same results using a random data set in a normal distribution as I did with a random data set in Excel's random distribution.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arlind Elezi

This Week's Hot Topics