dividing data set into random groups based on mean values

carlosesanchez

Hi, is there a way to divide a data set of values that have a patient number and value (i.e. patient # 2 and 1032.34) into equal groups, based on the mean values within the created groups? I am trying to randomize 24 patient values based on a single value and put them into similar groups based on mean values. Thanks in advance for your help...

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

gardnertoo

There are six ways to divide 24 specimens into groups containing equal numbers. Groups of 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12 patients. How do you want to choose which of those six group sizes to use? I thought maybe you would use standard deviation. I've been playing with excel's RAND() function, and calculating the standard deviation for the resulting groups, ranked in numerical order. Almost every sample results in smaller standard deviations for the two-patient groups than for any other grouping, with 3-patient groups coming in second and 4-patient groups coming in third. I got the same results using a random data set in a normal distribution as I did with a random data set in Excel's random distribution.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ishipra

This Week's Hot Topics

• Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop
    Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop I have tried this below code but i'm getting in Y column filled with W005. Colud you please...
  • MsgBox Error
    Hi Guys, I have the below error show up when i try and run my macro in File1 but works fine if i copy and paste the same code into file2. [ATTACH...
  • CELL FORMAT - IF CONDITION
    My Cell Format is [B]""0.00" Cr". [/B]But in the cell, it is showing 123.00 for editing. (123 is entry figure). (Data imported from other...
  • Show numbers nearly the same
    Is this possible. I have a number that can change very time eg 0.00001234 Then I have a lot of numbers 0.0000001, 0.0000002, 0.00000004...
  • Please i need your help to create formula
    I need a formula in cell B8 to do this >>if b1=1 then multiply ( cell b8) by 10% ,if b1=2 multiply by 20%,if=3 multiply by 30%. Thank you in...
  • Got error while adding column and filter
    Got error while adding column and filter In column Z has some like "Success" and "Error". I want to add column in AA if the Z cell value is...