ollyhughes1982

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

I have the following two formulas:

A:
=ROWS('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63)-COUNTBLANK('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63)

B:
=COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"A")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"B")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"C")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"D")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"E")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"F")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"G")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"H")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"I")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"J")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"K")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"L")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"M")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"N")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"O")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"P")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Q")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"R")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"S")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"T")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"U")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"V")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"W")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"X")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Y")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Z")

They both work correctly, separately; Formula A’s result is 21 and formula B’s result is also 21, as I have completed all of the requirements. All I want to do now is add a percentage cell, so I want to divide formula A into formula B and get 1 (100%). I have tried to do this with the following formula:

=ROWS('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63)-COUNTBLANK('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63)/COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"A")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"B")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"C")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"D")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"E")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"F")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"G")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"H")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"I")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"J")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"K")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"L")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"M")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"N")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"O")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"P")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Q")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"R")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"S")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"T")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"U")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"V")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"W")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"X")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Y")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Z")

i.e. I have just tried to divide the first into the second. I expect to see 1 (100%) [21/21], but I am getting 41! It’s like the formula is adding the two together. I can’t understand what’s going wrong!

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Olly.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
The issue with your formula is that the division operator / has a higher precedence than the addition operator +, which means that Excel is first performing the division, then adding the results of the COUNTIF functions. To get the desired result, you need to use parentheses to force Excel to perform the addition first, and then do the division.

Here's the corrected formula:

=(ROWS('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63)-COUNTBLANK('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63))/(COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"A")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"B")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"C")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"D")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"E")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"F")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"G")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"H")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"I")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"J")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"K")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"L")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"M")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"N")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"O")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"P")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Q")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"R")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"S")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"T")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"U")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"V")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"W")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"X")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Y")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Z"))

Note the parentheses around the two COUNTIF functions, which group them together and ensure that they are added before the division is performed.

Upvote 0
Solution
The issue with your formula is that the division operator / has a higher precedence than the addition operator +, which means that Excel is first performing the division, then adding the results of the COUNTIF functions. To get the desired result, you need to use parentheses to force Excel to perform the addition first, and then do the division.

Here's the corrected formula:

=(ROWS('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63)-COUNTBLANK('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63))/(COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"A")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"B")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"C")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"D")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"E")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"F")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"G")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"H")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"I")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"J")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"K")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"L")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"M")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"N")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"O")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"P")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Q")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"R")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"S")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"T")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"U")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"V")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"W")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"X")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Y")+COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,"Z"))

Note the parentheses around the two COUNTIF functions, which group them together and ensure that they are added before the division is performed.
Ah, brilliant. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
It should be
Excel Formula:

Upvote 0
Or significantly shorter
Excel Formula:
=(ROWS('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63)-COUNTBLANK('All Completed Runs - HPR'!C4:C63))/SUM(COUNTIF('All Completed Runs - HPR'!A4:A63,CHAR(SEQUENCE(26,,65))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back