DLookup Or DMax To Find Value

bkatsma

I am sure this is fairly simple but I am having trouble getting started on this. I use a Form to invoice clients which includes the field [Billing_Month]. What I'm looking to accomplish is this. When I create a new invoice and enter the [cboAccountID] value, the [Billing_Month] field will look to the last invoice created (use [Invoice_#] with DMax?), and populate that value.

I have thought to use: Billing_Month = DMax ("Billing_Month", "frmInvoices"), but this doesn't specifically get me the last invoice, it would just look for the highest Billing_Month, which is a text field.

I have thought to use: Billing_Month = DLookup ("Billing_Month", "frmInvoices"), But this doesn't get me the last invoice to pull from.

I am fairly new to VBA so feel free to dumb it down for me :)

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi bkatsma,

the dmax/dlookup functions can also have a "where/if" part, like: DMax("UnitPrice", "Order Details", "OrderID = 10248"). So in your case something like: DMax ("Invoice_#", "tblInvoices", "cboAccountID=" & [cboAccountID] )
The [] bit would refer to the field in your form, the rest to the table/query where you have to find the Invoice_#
See more examples e.g. here: MS Access: DMax Function

Cheers,

Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back