DMAX DMIN Question

RobbertH

Dear gurus,

I am struggling a bit with the DMAX and DMIN formulas i use to get the minimum and maximum values from a table.

First, how do i salve the problem of copying down the formula. Eg I have a list of different variables for with i want the minimum and maximum. I however have to specify the column name each time i have a different variable. I solved this now by adding a row in between each variable but i am sure there is a fancier solution.

Second, it seems that variables which start is identical to another variable but includes an extention (eg cola, and cola light) are taken together in picking up the minimum and maximum. I dont really understand why and have problems solving the issue.

Hope you have an idea! Thanks a lot for any help!!

Robbert

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Based on your description, it looks like array entered MIN / MAX formulas would do the job for you, something like,
Excel Workbook
MNO
1Main CategorySub CategoryValue
2Main 1Sub 145
3Main 2Sub 243
4Main 1Sub 337
5Main 1Sub 245
6Main 1Sub 325
7Main 2Sub 373
8Main 2Sub 285
9Main 2Sub 158
10Main 2Sub 526
11Main 1Sub 222
12Main 1Sub 132
13Main 1Sub 543
14Main 1Sub 483
Sheet6
Excel 2003
Excel Workbook
RST
1Main CategorySub CategoryMin/Max
2Main 1Sub 132
3Main 1Sub 337
Sheet6
Excel 2003
#VALUE!
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.

Upvote 0
Dear gurus,

I am struggling a bit with the DMAX and DMIN formulas i use to get the minimum and maximum values from a table.

First, how do i salve the problem of copying down the formula. Eg I have a list of different variables for with i want the minimum and maximum. I however have to specify the column name each time i have a different variable. I solved this now by adding a row in between each variable but i am sure there is a fancier solution.

Second, it seems that variables which start is identical to another variable but includes an extention (eg cola, and cola light) are taken together in picking up the minimum and maximum. I dont really understand why and have problems solving the issue.

Hope you have an idea! Thanks a lot for any help!!

Robbert

You need something like the Table method in order to invoke the same DMAX/DMIN formula for similar objects. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;282851

For "cola" and "cola light" issue, try...

F1: cola

F3:

="="&$F$1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back