Do not know how to

The_Ball

Good day friends,

I have an issue that I think should be simple but I can not determine what functions I should use. In a smaller version of my much larger schedule I have a list of employee names (column a) and column b contains times they are scheduled. Some of these cells are empty in column b due to the fact they are not scheduled. In my data validation cell, I only want the names of column a to show up if indeed there is a scheduled time listed in column b. Could you please write me a sample code that would perform this function?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
No, there is a built-in filter feature in excel

1. click on the 2st heading
2. On the HOME tab/Editing/Sort and Filter
3. Select Filter

You will now see that each column has a small "drop-down" triangle. If you click on the 1 in the column you want to filter, uncheck "Blanks" and click OK. You should be left with only the filled cells
If you play around a bit, you will see how useful this can be for all sorts of displays and filters

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the board :)

have you considered just applying filters?

Thank you for your response. Ultimately, this formula is going to be on a different sheet and there will be a sheet for each day of the week that gets data from the "master schedule" The "IF" argument will most definitely be a part of the formula, but from my research, so will the index, offset, Match, and possibly others as well.

I can visualize what i want in my head, but it is a series of nested functions and I always get confused as to the format of the nests, (),[], and such.

The data validation should be duplicated on each sheet for a number of in store positions that need to be filled. but should only show the names of employees of employees working that day. For the Monday sheet, the data validation fields will look in column A for the name of the employee and then check to see if they are on the schedule for that day in column B. The formula duplicated on the Tuesday sheet will do the same formula but will check Column C to see if there is a scheduled time and so forth for each day.

So, if i have a list of positions to fill, say phones, pizza maker, oven tender, I want to see a list of only those people who are scheduled to choose from who can fill that position. The help I need is writing that formula with the correct syntax.

Thank you for your help my friends

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response. Ultimately, this formula is going to be on a different sheet and there will be a sheet for each day of the week that gets data from the "master schedule" The "IF" argument will most definitely be a part of the formula, but from my research, so will the index, offset, Match, and possibly others as well.

I can visualize what i want in my head, but it is a series of nested functions and I always get confused as to the format of the nests, (),[], and such.

The data validation should be duplicated on each sheet for a number of in store positions that need to be filled. but should only show the names of employees of employees working that day. For the Monday sheet, the data validation fields will look in column A for the name of the employee and then check to see if they are on the schedule for that day in column B. The formula duplicated on the Tuesday sheet will do the same formula but will check Column C to see if there is a scheduled time and so forth for each day.

So, if i have a list of positions to fill, say phones, pizza maker, oven tender, I want to see a list of only those people who are scheduled to choose from who can fill that position. The help I need is writing that formula with the correct syntax.

Thank you for your help my friends

Upvote 0
The "IF" argument will most definitely be a part of the formula

Not necessarily.

Can you show a sample of what you are working with, and what you want?

Assuming your data looks at least something like this...
A​
B​
1​
NameDay
2​
aaMon
3​
bbMon
4​
ccMon
5​
ddTue
6​
aaTue
7​
bbTue
8​
ccWed
9​
ddWed
10​
aaWed
11​
bbThu
12​
ccThu
13​
ddThu
14​
aaFri
15​
bbFri
16​
ccFri
17​
ddSat

Then on sheet Mon (or whatever you use for your days)...
A​
B​
1​
NameMon
2​
aa
3​
bb
4​
cc
A2=IFERROR(INDEX(Master!A:A,SMALL(IF(Master!$B$2:$B$17=$B$1,ROW(Master!$A$2:$A$17)),ROWS($A$1:A1))),"")
ARRAY entered, using CTRL SHIFT ENTER

Upvote 0
Thank you again for your help. While that formula didn't quite do what I envisioned, it set me on the proper path to something that did. Thank you Ford

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back