Document Recovery window shows 2 original versions ???

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Once more Excel suddenly closed all open workbooks without any error message or options to save them. When I reopened it, the Document Recovery window listed 2 versions of the open books. But for one of them, it listed 3 with 2 of them tagged as "[Original]". The ones tagged as (A) both say Original and both have the same "Original" icon (circled). But the dates are different. What is going on?

1633048939572.png

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
. . . and when I hover over one of the AutoRecovered files, I get a drop down. I tried all but Delete. Nothing happens.

1633049583760.png

Upvote 0
I tried 2 Explorer searches, one from My Documents and one from This PC, to see if I somehow did create 2 copies of that book.

The one from My Documents finished quickly. It only found 1 copy (plus a ~copy). But when I click on the name ion the search window, it lists 3:

1633050762885.png

What the heck is the one with the clock (?) icon?

The one from This MC is still running. It's been about 15 minutes. It also only found 1.

Upvote 0
Hi Jennifer. A while back I did some learning about the document recovery "feature"....
The link probably won't help you specifically but it does offer some insights into XL's document recovery. I'm guessing that the reason that you have 2 versions of the same recovered wb is that it has crashed before and the registry key remains in reference to the previously crashed version. Do U have all those wb's open at once or is the recovery window showing all of the previous keys to previously crashed wbs? U could clear all of those previous reference keys as outlined at the link either manually with the registry editor or via the code posted (not sure if office 365 is the same as my 2016 version) Anyways, I would suggest turning off your document recovery "feature" as it has been my experience that this "feature" will cause mysterious crashes.... again not sure if this is the case for office 365? Have you checked the task manager to see if XL has actually shut off re. nothing happens when you click the icon list .... maybe the application needs to be terminated and rebooted before further use. Not sure what the clock(?) icon is? Hope that maybe some of this will be helpful. Dave

Upvote 0
What the heck is the one with the clock (?) icon?
That's the search history (it filters to whatever matches the current search). If you hover over it, there should be an X to the right that you can use to delete it from the device history.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back