Does anyone know much about routers?

AndrewRossington

Board Regular
I'm aware this is not the right message board, but I'm really hoping if I post this everywhere, someone will help me.

So I bought this Linksys Wireless G ADSL gateway router thingy...

I've gotten as far as sticking all the wires in the right holes, and I'm reading the step-by-step guide. I've stuck the disc in. I've gone through all the options. I've done everything it says I need to do, and yet when it comes to testing the internet connection (the same one I'm using at this very moment with my bog-standard-yet-surprisingly-more-reliable-than-this-bloody-router modem) it says there's a problem connecting.

Can anyone help me please? Bare in mind that I'm completely useless when it comes to abbreviations, definitions, and anything else related to actually making a wireless router work.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Andrew

You probably have to configure the network settings on the router itself - I take it you have a wireless adapter card plugged in the back of your computer? I only use a wired router, so I'm not fully conversant with how wireless operates.

You will probably have to connect to the router via your web-browser (there should be an internet address in your documentation that lists what its IP address is - my own one (yours will likely be different) is 10.0.0.2.

Have you installed all the necessary drivers on your PC first?

Also, check the Linksys help&support - they may well have an online support site where you can get real-time help.

Richard

At the moment I'm just trying to get the wired way working.

I've download a zip file with the firmware, though I'm not sure how to use it as the text document doesn't include any instructions.

I think I'll try emailing them for help.

Thanks for replying.

Andrew

Are you using an ethernet card to connect to the router or a USB socket? An ethernet card will connect with an RJ45 adapter which looks a little like the cable ends you plug into an external modem. USB is most definitely not the preferred way of connecting to a router. I expect your motherboard will have an ethernet socket (often to one side of the USB sockets) or if not then you need a separate PCI network adapter (which will fit into one of your PCI expansion sockets on your motherboard).

Anyway, try going Start>Run and type "cmd" (without the quotes) into the box and press OK. Next, type the following into the command line that has opened up:

ipconfig /all

and paste back in a message all that you get returned from the above command. Also, what's the model of your router?

Richard

Sorry, you might have a problem copying the text from the command line. Type the following into a command line which will send the output of ipconfig to a text file on the c drive. You can then open this up and copy and paste the contents:

ipconfig /all >c:\ipc.txt

Richard

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Trogdor

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : (removed by admin)

PPP adapter TalkTalk Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : (removed by Admin)

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xx (removed by Admin - it was a valid ip)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 89.240.247.235

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.24.128.18

It's a Linksys WAG54GS.

be careful what you post - I removed some info.

It would help you provided what steps you *did* do..
do *not* mess with the firmware just yet - if you don't even have it working, you don't want to deal with that yet.

Step 1: network adapter installed in pc/laptop
Step 2: router plugged into (DSL or cable) modem (unless it's a combo modem/router)
Step 3: log into the router and configure it to find your ISP
Step 4: if your pc/laptop used to be connected directly to the modem, clear those settings so it can find the router.

Step 1: network adapter installed in pc/laptop

What's a network adapter?

Step 2: router plugged into (DSL or cable) modem (unless it's a combo modem/router)

It's not plugged into my modem. I don't know if it's a combo, though the instructions mention nothing about plugging into a modem. I've had to add my user name and password to the router's basic settings, so I imagine it does include a modem too.

Step 3: log into the router and configure it to find your ISP

I do not know how to do this, other than what the instructions say. There's a shed-load of fields with abbreviations (no explanations!) which are untouched, other than what I'm told I'm supposed to fill out.

Step 4: if your pc/laptop used to be connected directly to the modem, clear those settings so it can find the router.

I believe it has found the router, as it comes up with the little bubble saying "local area network found".

>>
So I bought this Linksys Wireless G ADSL gateway router thingy...

that needs to have your modem (from your ISP - the box that you had your PC originally plugged into) into it.

verify that step and we'll go onto the next one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPJ_Harper

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back