Does Excel or some AI plug in have a "specificity index"? (no, not about medicine)

Willowdale

Greetings listers.

I have a huge (350K lines) database of dates, methods, positions, comments, results, and at last, a field of comments, some are short like " left package" "left message about package" etc, and some go into detail assigning the details surrounding the delivery of the package.

Is there a way to identify, assign or sort the records by relative specificity of these comments? In other words,
User A = I left the package.
User B = I left the package on the porch.
User C = I left the package on the southeast corner of the porch with the label facing the door.

You get the Idea. Earlier I used the len function to record raw number of characters in each comment. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to suss out the variability, the uniqueness of each comment to in some way put a metric to how specific individual user comments are.

Any help would be, well, super helpful. Oh, and yeah, my analyze tab is missing. My IT dept has it removed. Not sure if I could get it added, but Id sure ask if that would lead to a solution.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
You could just count the number of words in the description.

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))+1

This counts the spaces in it. More words = more specific?

Upvote 0
That is a possible solution, but the ideal is to be brief but detailed. So although I might have the highest word count, it might still be bad. To long=inefficient.

Upvote 0
If you're not looking for total length, or number of words, then you're going to have to look at the actual content. You could create a list of words that could be used to describe the delivery. The more found, the better the score. For example:

Book1 (version 1).xlsb
ABCDE
1Score1Score2WordsPrepositions
2I left the package.10packageabove
3I left the package on the porch.21porchacross
4I left the package on the southeast corner of the porch with the label facing the door.43northagainst
5southalong
6eastamong
7westaround
8southeastat
9southwestbefore
10northeastbehind
11northwestbelow
12labelbeneath
13beside
14between
15by
16down
17from
18in
19into
20near
21of
22off
23on
24to
25toward
26under
27upon
28with
29within
Sheet14
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:C4B2=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&D$2:D$29&" "," "&SUBSTITUTE(TRIM($A2),".","")&" ")))

Here I used two different lists. The first has specific words that might help, but it is limited to just what you can think of. The second list contains prepositions. Prepositional phrases are used to describe things, so the more, the better, and you don't need to worry about specific nouns, like stairs, screendoor, gazebo, etc. Either way, you'll probably have to experiment a bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back