Does if(is blank()) provide efficiencies

PureBluff

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I just got sent a spreadsheet, obviously written by someone who doesn't actually use it, with countless vlookups against huge, whole column arrays!

I've shortened all those ranges down and converted to index/match which has obviously helped massively.

Im thinking to change to if(isblank(A1),"",lookup formula)

My train of thought is that the isblank will use less computing power to return true (majority of the lookups) & the more intensive formula (lookup) will only be calculated if cell isn't blank.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Im thinking to change to if(isblank(A1),"",lookup formula)
My train of thought is that the isblank will use less computing power to return true (majority of the lookups) & the more intensive formula (lookup) will only be calculated if cell isn't blank. Is that correct?

Yes. For the Excel IF function, if the conditional expression is TRUE, only the (first) value-if-true expression is evaluated. In your case, it returns the null string.

But I would write IF(A1="","",lookup...). The advantage is: A1 might look blank because it contains an expression that conditionally returns the null string, just like yours.

IMHO, the only time that we should use ISBLANK is to distinguish between a truly empty cell (no value) and a cell that looks blank because its value is the null string.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back