Does Power Query make learning VBA time not well spent?

Purplehazed

I know enough about VBA to create simple macros, maybe a bit more if I need the macro badly.

I love Power Query.
I want a good reason so continue learning VBA because I live excel everyday.

What can VBA do that Power Query can't? I want to know that spending time on VBA is time well spent.

thanks in advance, sorry if this is elsewhere in the forum.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
guess it depends on what you need to do

if power query does everything you need, then it sure sounds like there is no need to learn VBA

I don't use power query but do all it can do, that I need to do, as Excel does it other ways

and then with VBA, there are 'unlimited' things that can be done. but if you don't need them, sure, no need to learn.

I don't know if that helps or not... :)

Upvote 0
I use VBa for lots of really simple things, which I do very commonly when using EXCEL. I have written a lot user defined functions for example: Exponential Moving averages. I also use macros which I keep in my personalxlb file so that I can use them with a shortcut key for example: wrapping "iferror( ,0)" round any formula which is showing an error. It is also very useful for speeding up certain lengthy calculations because I can control when the calculation takes place rather than having EXCEl recalculate all the time. I think the key thing about VBA is that you can do anything with it, while power query is limited to the functionality that Miscorsoft deem to put in it. Personally I never use Power query because it doesn't do anything which I can't do in VBA.
So if you want to limit your abilities to what Power query will do, then stick with Power query, if you want to become a real expert learn both!!
(I just noticed my mispelling of Microsoft, but I have left it because I rather like the idea of Mis Cor soft)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back