Does Sharepoint let people use the same excel doc (xlsm) at the same time?

tonywatsonhelp

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,
(please only reply to this if you fully understand what i'm asking as I know what excel has been able to do up to now)
but am really confused about a conversation I just had.
I was talking with someone about the possibility of having a professional excel document created, and we got onto the subject of there being multiple users.
The document would be shared by all salespeople and they all have access to share point.
so my question is simple enough, if an excel document that uses macros to work, is saved in share point can it now be used by multiple users at the same time? or will you still get the same problems as before with duplicate copies or data not being saved etc etc?

please help if you know as i was under the impression macro excel documents can not be used in a sharepoint envirment by more than one user at a time?

Thanks for your help
Tony

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I can't speak to all environments...it would likely depend on your SharePoint installation and security settings. In my organization we do have multiple people collaborating on the same .xlsm documents without issue. One thing to note, is that I have them use the installed excel, not the web version that SharePoint defaults to.

Upvote 0
Can confirm we have multiple team spreadsheets that are on Sharepoint. Some people like to open the in the browser, others (myself) like to open in the app.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back