Does someone have an Excel spreadsheet to demonstrate Data Analysis or Data Auditing for retail?

Alex20850

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking for a spreadsheet to demonstrate Data Analysis or Data Auditing to a person with retail experience.
I have 30 years experience in software support and training, but I haven't worked in retail.
The person who would see the demonstration did a lot of auditing and analysis in a retail alternative health products store for several years.
However, as far as I know, he did it manually doing inventory or by using the store inventory computer system but not through Excel.
One of the things he did was find customers who had been given automatic discounts for volume purchases when the purchases were below
the required level.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
very much depends on what data is captured and available
having worked across a lot of different organisations looking at performance improvement / change management / Management information
A lot of things change depending on the goals of the organisation

there was a famous database example , where a retail outlet sold a lot of beer and nappies on a friday Night - and so they moved the beer next to the nappies , as it was husbands on the way home picking up the nappies , the sales of beer increased

this was all part of the data mining data warehousing stuff i was involved with around 1990 ish onwards, and terms like management information intelligence / insight starting being used

I have put together a lot of dashboards for various companies ..... Fast Food soft drinks, financial institutions, mobile phone companies
And they all start really with the company , strategy and goals as top level KPI's and then drill down from there

what is you are demonstrating , using excel - a lot of companies these days would setup dashboards, and quite a few companies are moving away from spreadsheets as much as possible .... its usually an overhead and single point of failure

There will be many companies / consultancies and software vendors , showing the x metrics for a retail environment , what you should measure etc

I have worked with my sons on a few measurements for the insurance world and soft drinks , using excel , which have then been incorporated into the performance metric systems
often dealing with the flavour of the month problems .......... as well as the longer term business plan

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
I am looking for something much simpler than dashboards at this stage, but thanks for those suggestions is the guy is further along.

Upvote 0
ok,
so what sort of thing are you after - not following ?
sorry
dashboard was probably the wrong term,
for example - i have just helped someone - put a simple count of a list based on money owed and an exceptions report with some conditional formatting - for managing a law practice

you can have a lot of basic metrics and measure against an expected goal and RAG status

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back