Does this annoy anyone else?

Point taken. But in any case, two Forum Moderators publicly announcing that they "don't expect" or "don't have a problem with" people not following one of their own forum guidelines doesn't send out a very good message, does it?

It begs the question: which of the other nine guidelines do you also not have an issue with people ignoring?

Regards

Rules: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere.

Guidelines: a piece of advice.

The guidelines are offered as a way of getting the most effiicent help from the forum. The are not RULES, which means members are not forced to follow them. Other forums may use these guidelines as rules. We do not.

If people want to ignore the guidelines, that's their choice.

Something you need to understand about this forum. There are other internet forums which have much stricter guidelines. For example, you might find your questions get locked for not posting the title of your question "correctly" or may have your hands get slapped for any number of minor transgressions (and it isn't that hard to get banned). We adopt a much more "relaxed" approach than that here, and have received many compliments from users because of that.

That is way we elect to operate. We don't expect everyone to agree with it, but that is our philosophy.

Last edited:
I think it is a bit unreasonable to crucify the Mods in question for their stance on thanks. To be honest, I "would like" people to be nice to me at the shops or at MrExcel, but I don't have the expectation that it will happen every time either in the real world or MrExcel, and so I don't get bitter and twisted about it. whilst I will never be Mod or MVP and will disappear into insignificance as soon as I don't make regular posts, I do try to set an example for new posters, which I learned from the Mods and others.
eg
Welcome first time posters to the board.
Thank helpers if I have asked a question.
Give encouragement to a poster who provides incorrect advice and not just declare that they are wrong.
Credit other poster's advice when making an amendment/improvement to their work.

And since others are mentioning their "pet hates" I will declare my own: it is the poster with the "Help me for FREE, NOW!" attitude that I do find offensive.

You never explicitly condoned it (in so many words)...
I never condoned it, not directly nor indirectly...

replying that "A thanks is nice but I don't expect it" or "I wouldn't avoid questions by people who don't say thanks", well then, isn't there a small chance that those very readers are going to go away with the impression that it's perfectly ok to not bother to say thank you?
It seems you focus on the "but I don't expect it". The first 4 words clearly state that I too, like most here, appreciate a little gratitude in return for my effort.

I for one would have hoped that you might have been a touch more supportive of the views of the previous posters...
On the contrary, my words were intended to be completely supportive. I wanted the OP to look at it from a different perspective. The perspective that contributing to questions enhances your skills and that turning away from people who don't give thanks may mean that he misses some great learning opportunities. Ignoring everyone who doesn't give thanks would be quite a pain. The phrase "cut your nose off to spite your face" comes to mind...

FWIW..
We're all volunteers and give our time freely, A thanks is a nice reward, but If I don't get a thank you I move on and hopefully learn from the experience ( I do keep an eye on those that don't for future reference though ). If we were to "expect" thanks, we probably should be doing something else with our time.
I look at it this way, when I go to the shop, I hold the door for others coming out / going in......sadly, most people these days just march on through, without even a sideways glance......but I'd be much saddened if I didn't hold the door anymore for an elderly person or a "lady" and they expressed their disappointment that I didn't.

Maybe it's my old age kicking in !!!!!

Annoyed, but here to learn/stay sharp, and becoming more selective about who I help: checking in! lol

Speaking for myself (not as a moderator) I'm not annoyed by a lack of a thank you. I don't think I even notice 99% of the time. Generally I expect my answers are helpful and an exit value of 0 is considered success ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back