Does this annoy anyone else?

wrightyrx7

Just a quick one.

I'm not the best at writing code (VBA) and it usually takes me a while, but I try to help people.

Does it annoy anyone else when you help someone in the forums. You spend a while writing code for them and testing it........ And they dont even acknowledge it! :mad:

I see the person is online when I'm posting them the code. Then its like they have took the code, its done what they want and that's it.....

Rant over hahaha

Yes, it happens, it's annoying and such a shame. These people do not value the time and knowledge spent for them.

unfortunately it happens in quite a few different forums

i moderate a couple of technical forums and having researched the Posters questions and then suggested a number of tests to carry out - the thread goes dead.

As people can also post on multiple forums, sometimes they get an answer from the other forum and dont bother to reply

I personally thinks its very rude not to reply, fortunately , the research often comes in useful later on other questions.

I have also discovered on some rare occasions the email notification does not work, and so the poster does not know there has been a reply , and quite often they do not check the post online

I'm not sure much more can be done, often the case when things are free , they are not valued by people.

If i see the poster ask another question, i will often refer to the original unreplied post and ask why no reply

whilst I don't contribute to the board for accolade, I tend to have become choosy about who I help. my criteria for NOT helping are simple:

posters who don't make some sort of acknowledgement of assistance

topics which include "urgent" or similar in the OP

Yes, from now on I'm going to be a bit more picky on who I help.

I have only learnt what I know today from these forums. I appreciate the help I have had, and make sure I thank the person that has taken the time to reply to my threads.

Every group of people has a diverse range of personalities. Like any social forum, one can choose with whom they engage. There was a very interesting discussion in the Lounge about 18 months back which explored a number of issues, and one member was conducting a research project related to the same issues to some extent. Whilst some member's netiquette may annoy, I look for the members who conform with my expectations.

I don't think it's worth feeling upset about it, but I suppose it depends on what your motivation to help is.

I help others so that I can enhance my own knowledge or keep my skills 'fresh'. A thanks is nice but I don't expect it. I wouldn't avoid questions by people who don't say thanks because of that, you may miss some great learning opportunities.

I don't think it's worth feeling upset about it, but I suppose it depends on what your motivation to help is.

I help others so that I can enhance my own knowledge or keep my skills 'fresh'. A thanks is nice but I don't expect it. I wouldn't avoid questions by people who don't say thanks because of that, you may miss some great learning opportunities.

I suppose there is a positive to every negative :P

I agree with Jon's sentiments.
Though it is nice to get acknowledgement, I don't have a problem with it.
I try not to keep "score". Besides, there would be far too many people to try to remember!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back