Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
Good Evening,
I am working on a query that i will be using for exporting data from my database to be used in an external system. I have a function that I am calling in my query CalculateRelease() which takes the latest date in the Periods Column and adds a fixed number. Since there are 4000+ records in my query, it is calculating the value on each record it is running the same function and returning the exact same value on ALL the records, i was wondering if there was a way to have the value calculated once and just put into every row, saving long calculation periods.

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT  CourseNumberWithCrosslist AS [School Course Number], [Course Name],  
[Instructor ID], [Start Date], [End Date], CalculateRelease("Stu") AS [Release Date]
FROM _tblRegistrationInfo_SR00034 ;

thanks

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Can you not turn it into a make table query. It will create a table with the figures and any other querie can then be based on the table

Upvote 0
Hi,
This might depend on the details of CalculateRelease(). Probably yes is the answer (using static variables and/or a dictionary style data structure).

If the answer is always the same you could also use a join/relation approach (with a lookup table) rather than a function approach:
Code:
SELECT 
    x, y, z, 
    (SELECT Release_Date FROM Table2 WHERE ReleaseType = 'Stu') As [Release Date] 
FROM 
    tblRegistrationInfo_SR00034

If you are communicating with other data systems I would avoid using spaces in any table or field names. Access allows spaces in names but most databases do not: Letters, Numbers and underscores are the only safe characters (and always starting with a letter, not a number, as the first character).

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your advise.

Xenou - We have to export the data to match their specificiation in a CSV. The spacing in their name is actually the vendors system.

After some work this weekend, I took thesuggs76's recommendation and am using VBA to load the data into a query and just pluggin the calcuaterelease() info as a variable that is ran once at the start of the proceedure.

Which is fortunate when i got handed another part of this project and see that i can make use of this table for other aspects.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back