Doing customer lookups, how to handle a New Customer

Jayhawk68

I have quote package for my estimators to use where they select the customer from a drop-down list and the other customer fields are automatically filled in. The problem is when its a new customer not on the list. In the current approach, the user gets an error message "the value you entered is not valid."

I would like them to continue on and enter the customer information manually. Later, I can update the customer list & information.

Customer information is currently on a sheet called Clists. Each row contains a customer's information: name, contact, address, city, st, zip, phone, etc. The sheet has a header row.

On the Estimate page where the user would normally type the customer's name, they now select the customer from a drop-down list generated by a Name defined by OFFSET(Clists!A2,0,0,COUNTA(Clists!$A:$A)-1,1).

The other customer fields are filled by doing an index match to the customer name using INDEX(Clists!C2:C1000,MATCH($B$1,Clists!$A$2:$A$1000)). Each field has a similar INDEX formula.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi and welcome to the board!!!
A quick and dirty fix, would be to change the Data Validation status to Warning or Informational. This will allow themn to enter a name ont in your list. A true fix, might be to call a UserForm that they enter the info in, which is then placed in your Clist

lenze

Upvote 0
Thanks Lenze. I did the quick-fix to get things moving again. I'm very interested in your other suggestion of a UserForm which would be the true fix. Can you point me in the right direction or tell me more about how to do it?

Scott

Upvote 0
so if they manually fill in the customer all of the other fields will fail with your formulas

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back