"Don't Fear The Spreadsheet" - 12-13 Becomes 13-Dec?: Podcast #1561

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jun 19, 2012.
So, when typing a few numbers into a cell do you find that sometimes those numbers are changed to a date? Well...what if you didnn't want a date? What if you wanted the numbers in that cell to remain exactly the way you typed them in? Following along with episode #1561, find out why your numbers have changed, why Excel thinks that its a good idea to do that and -most importantly- what you can do to keep the numbers in the cell just the way you entered them into it!

"Don't Fear The Spreadsheet:A Beginner's Guide To Overcoming Excel's Frustrations" by Tyler Nash, Kevin Jones, Tom Urtis and Bill Jelen Don't Fear the Spreadsheet

Many 'Beginner Oriented' Excel How-To books say they can bring you from zero to familiar with the important features of Microsoft Excel - 'Don't Fear The Spreadsheet' actually will. Why are we so confident? Because the questions in this book were asked by an absolute Excel Beginner - Tyler Nash - with the answers provided by three (3) Microsoft MVPs specializing in and dedicated to teaching others Microsoft Excel, from the ground up - Kevin Jones, Tom Urtis and Bill Jelen

"This Book Makes Excel For Dummies™ Look Like It Was Written For Rocket Scientists!" Don't Fear the Spreadsheet
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Don't Fear the Spreadsheet podcast, episode no: 1.
Type 12-13 becomes 13-Dec???
Hey, welcome back to Don't Fear the Spreadsheet.
I am Bill Jellen from MrExcel.
Here's our today's question, Tyler Nash.
Tyler Nash :All right, MrExcel. I've about had it with Excel.
Every time I put in twelve-thirteen, Excel changes it to December 13.
I don't want a date. I don't want December 13.
I want 12-13.
Why can't Excel handle that?" Tyler, that's a good one.
Excel is actually trying to make your life easier.
There what they're doing is, they're trying to recognize anything that looks remotely like a date, and they're changing it to a date.
So, you know people enter dates.
A lot of different ways in Excel, and they always want to change it to a real date.
And we'll talk later in the book about why real dates are important.
And you're being stung there because they think when you type 12, 13, you mean December 13th.
See they even put in two thousand twelve, for you it's a great shortcut key.
It's a great thing if you're trying to put in a date but if you're not trying to put in a date, if you're trying to put in something else, well, then Oh, It's really frustrating.
And for all the people who've been using Excel out there for a long time, they instantly know the answer this they say, "Oh well, you have to put an apostrophe first.
Put the apostrophe, and then type your 12 13. " And Tyler I can already hear what you're saying, what? An apostrophe?
How was I supposed to know that?
Well, it's a really long story, goes back to the days of lotus 123.
And probably even the VisiCalc where that apostrophe would say ' I'd say, "Hey, this is not a number.
Don't, don't treat it special.
Just...
You Know leave it as text." It's kind of a shortcut key for coming in here and doing home, and then changing the format to text.
And then you can type whatever you want, without having the apostrophe.
But most people, I think just use the apostrophe.
Well, hey, all right. I wanna thank everyone or stopping by.
See you next time for another podcast from MrExcel Tyler Nash, checkout Don't Fear the Spreadsheet, the book that makes Excel for Dummies look like it was written for rocket scientists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back