"Don't Fear The Spreadsheet" - Print Report: Podcast #1569

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jul 3, 2012.
You've tried Printing your Report from the Excel Workbook that you've toiled over and instead of one neatly arranged and printed page, you've ended up with several pages of cut off Data! Now what? Tape? Staples? And will my Reports always print like this? How can I get all of my Data to Print on one page? Follow along with Episode #1569 to learn how to change your Settings, display 'Page Breaks' and end up with the result you really want to achieve.

"Don't Fear The Spreadsheet: A Beginner's Guide To Overcoming Excel's Frustrations" by Tyler Nash, Kevin Jones, Tom Urtis and Bill Jelen Don't Fear the Spreadsheet

"This Book Makes Excel For Dummies™ Look Like It Was Written For Rocket Scientists!"

"The Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast Series"

Visit us: MrExcel.com for all of your Microsoft Excel Needs!
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Don't Fear the Spreadsheet, Episode Number 5: Print to One Page Wide.
Hey, welcome back to the Don’t Fear the Spreadsheet podcast.
I’m Bill Jelen, from MrExcel.
With today’s question: Tyler Nash.
Tyler Nash - MrExcel, this is a problem.
I print in my report and the left half of the report prints on pages one through three.
And the right half, on pages four through six.
What gives?
Oh, Tyler.
I've seen this.
One of the very first co-workers I ever had, when that's what happened to them, they would actually get out scotch tape, and they would scotch tape the right half to the left half.
And I’m like, “Oh, no, that's just going to jam that copier”.
Alright, so we have an easy way to deal with this.
If we come back here to the Page Layout tab-- Page Layout tab, you see that there are settings here under Scale to Fit.
And what you want to do is, you want to open this up and say that we want to fit to 1 page wide-- 1 page wide, and that's going to force everything to fit on one page.
Now back in Excel 2003, we had this setting and people would just turn it on like this; Fit to: 1 page wide by 1 page tall.
And that would force everything to be really, really, really small because you had to fit hundreds of rows on one page.
So, I like the fact that they've made it more obvious here in Excel 2007 and 2010, how to just change the width to one page and let the height be as tall as it's going to be, that-- that's okay.
You know, if it fits the three pages that's good.
Now, I'm going turn this off and just show you a couple of things; that there are-- a way to display page breaks, but they're not displayed when you first open the worksheet.
So, one way back in Excel 2007, is to use the little round icon up here, and then, I think, Print and Print Preview.
That would get you the old one page print preview like this, and it's not the print preview that we want to see; it's just the act of going into print preview.
Now, if you're in Excel 2010: File, Print, will display the print preview over here; and then, as you come out of print preview, you'll see that the page breaks are there.
I had another co-worker once, the first time this happened to her, she said, “Well, wait a second, I thought that was just there to show me the center of the report”.
No, that's not there to show you the center on the report; that's there to show you that this stuff's going to print on one page, and this stuff's going to print on another page.
So, again, the solution: come back here; Width 1 page; and you are good to go.
Well, if you're new to spreadsheets, check out this book “Don't Fear the Spreadsheet”.
It is designed for the 40% of people who have never entered a formula in Excel.
This book will make “Excel for Dummies” look like it was written for rocket scientists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back