Double lookup from two dimensional table

bujaman

Board Regular
Hello all,
I am trying to get a cell in my spreadsheet to look up a value based on two values. I have a dropdown list that lists the worksheets in the workbook, and each worksheet has a table with width measurements for the columns and height measurements for the rows. I have a function that is mostly working, it calls the data from the proper worksheet, but it rounds the measurement values down, and I need it to round to the next highest value on the table. For instance, the measurement may be 55" x 55" in, but the table has values for 54" and 60". The current formula rounds down to the 54" measurement, but I need it to round up to the 60". You can download the file here:

http://telliport.com/excel/

I have highlighted cells and included comments to make it more clear. Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I can't download files, so can you provide more information on the formulas that you are using and I'll see if it makes sense.

Upvote 0
it looks like all the intervel is consistant (6) in all the sheets, if it is then you can change your formula to this

=IF(OR(C5=0, $G$4="-"),"",INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:N15"),MATCH($E5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:a15"),1),MATCH($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:N1"),1)))

Upvote 0
or may be this

=IF(OR(C5=0,$G$4="-"),"",VLOOKUP($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&G$4&"'!$A$2:$N$15"),MATCH($E5+5,INDIRECT("'"&G$4&"'!$A$1:$N$1"),1),1))

Upvote 0
it looks like all the intervel is consistant (6) in all the sheets, if it is then you can change your formula to this

=IF(OR(C5=0, $G$4="-"),"",INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:N15"),MATCH($E5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:a15"),1),MATCH($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:N1"),1)))

Does this...

Rich (BB code):
=IF(OR(C5=0, $G$4="-"),"",
    INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:N15"),
     MATCH($E5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:A15"),1),
     MATCH($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:N1"),1)+
      (LOOKUP($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A1:N1")<>$C5+5)))

yield what you need? If it does, you now need to cope with the fact that C5+5 might exactly equal the value in N1.

Upvote 0
Hi aladin,

I couldn't understand the last Look up in your code, pls explain

Upvote 0
no, its missing a closing parenthesis and returns #N/A if I close it

Upvote 0
no, its missing a closing parenthesis and returns #N/A if I close it

Possible, with all those INDIRECT's in there... Corrected for missing paren for LOOKUP and also adusted the ranges a bit...

Code:
=IF(OR(C5=0, $G$4="-"),"",
   INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!B2:N15"),
    MATCH($E5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!A2:A15"),1),
    MATCH($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!B1:N1"),1)+
     (LOOKUP($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&$G$4&"'!B1:N1"))<>$C5+5)))

I assume that B1:N1 is sorted in ascending order and the matching to this range needs to be next value in case there is no exact matching value.

Upvote 0
Hi bujaman

you can use the below formula. if you want to consider the sub-unit columns also in the calculation (column D & E),

=IF(OR(C5=0,$G$4="-"),"",
VLOOKUP($C5+IF(OR(D5="",D5="x"),5,6),
INDIRECT("'"&G$4&"'!$A$2:$N$15"),
MATCH($E5+IF(F5="",5,6),INDIRECT("'"&G$4&"'!$A$1:$N$1"),1),1))

if it is not the case then you can use my earlier suggestion

=IF(OR(C5=0,$G$4="-"),"",
VLOOKUP($C5+5,INDIRECT("'"&G$4&"'!$A$2:$N$15"),
MATCH($E5+5,INDIRECT("'"&G$4&"'!$A$1:$N$1"),1),1))

Hi Aladin,

your suggestion gives me
G5 = 694
when I give
G4 = 2" DS Woods
C5 = 54
E5 = 56

whereas G5 should be 713 for the above input, as the intersection of
Row 6 (houses 54 = Bid!C5 ) and column H (houses 60, next higher value of 56 in Bid!E5) should be the result

I really dont understand the need for the last lookup in your code, without which the formula would yield the desiered result

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moo4247

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back