Download Yahoo Portfolio's Into Excel Spreadsheet

Gordongekko5000

Hello all Excel Guru's. I'm not a programmer, but I was just wondering if anyone knew the quickest and easiest way to download my yahoo portfolio stock symbols into an excel spreadsheet. A web query won't return the data I hear because of yahoo's formatting of tables. I'm running office 2000 on windows xp. I tried a macro to scrape the information, and to download the information, but I always get run-time, etc. errors. Does anyone have a spreadsheet that does this, or know of the easiest way for me to get this info. I don't really understand the programming of macro's in vb. I've read the other posts, but don't get the programming part. I've tried everything I think. Can anyone help, Please! Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Getting quotes from yahoo portfolio into excel

That is a good way of getting historical quotes, which can be done with a web query using ticker symbols, I guess what I'm asking requires someone familiar with yahoo and when you create your own portfolio's. I was wondering how the best way to use a macro during the day to automatically update ticker symbols into an excel spreadsheet. Thanks for the help so far. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
Quotecat will download stock information into Excel.
http://www.quotecat.com.
You would put each stock symbol into the Quotecat spreadsheet. Then you would download your Yahoo information into another sheet in the same (or different?) workbook.
On the Yahoo spreadsheet, use an INDEX function to lookup the value for a symbol. You would use the MATCH function to get the right row:
INDEX(QCsheet!$A$2:$B$30,MATCH(A9,QCsheet!$A$2:$A$30,0),2)
where A9 contains the symbol for which you want a value.

Upvote 0
RE: Getting stock tickers into excel

Thanks all, you've all been a great help. The quotecat thing worked. The only thing I need to solve now is to get a macro that opens the excel sheet I have the quotecat tickers in to wait until it all refreshes. The application wait and icount feature don't work and because (I think) it's using dde links to get the data instead of a web or data query, there isn't a backround query refresh yes/no in the macro editor. Any guesses? Thanks again you guys are GREAT!

Upvote 0
Quotecat has an update setting so it's refresh is adjustable up to every 1 minute and also has a update now button. You mention opening another sheet to refresh? Why do you need it in a different book if I may ask?

Upvote 0
RE: Posting stock quotes into excel

Thanks for your response, what I need is to get the information from several workbooks with quotecat's symbols in them and put them into one main spreadsheet. As far as I know quotecat only allows 200 quotes in a spreadsheet, so I was making a macro to open up those different ones and copy the info into one main sheet. Anyone else have suggestions?

Upvote 0
So the problem is to many quotes for 1 book? Or did I still miss something?

Upvote 0
RE: Updating Data through quotecat

Thanks for your response. Yes, the problem is too many symbols in one sheet, so I need to open several, get the data and paste into a main one. Also I would like to automate the whole process. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back