Downloading stock information from website - Ark Invest

LAAdams17

Board Regular
I created a spreadsheet a while ago to download information on Ark Invest ETFs (www.ark-invest.com). Ark provides their data in CSV files; for example, if you go to the web page for one of their ETFs, ARKK for Ark Invest Innovation at ARK Innovation ETF | ARKK - Aiming for Growth and there' s a link on the page titled "Fund Holdings CSV" which takes one to https://ark-funds.com/wp-content/fundsiteliterature/csv/ARK_INNOVATION_ETF_ARKK_HOLDINGS.csv. The spreadsheet I created using Excel 365 to download and store this information used to work when I'd go to Data > Refresh and I'd get the current information. However, of late when I try to do this I'm getting the following error:
Exception of type 'Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.ResourceAccessForbiddenException' was thrown.

Any suggestions / help would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi. Sorry for the delayed response. I tried to access the CSV file with my Excel and also encountered the same problem. I suspect I know how they're blocking it, but long story short, there is a workaround.

As below, intead of using the basic option, select Advanced, and put the URL in the URL parts textbox. Then, down in the HTTP request header parameters textbox, type User-Agent and then enter some useragent details. I use (I think) one of the more recent versions of chrome so mine is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.114 Safari/537.36

But then it should be fine again. When you click OK, it will load up as normal. Hope that helps.

1624388836680.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi. Sorry for the delayed response. I tried to access the CSV file with my Excel and also encountered the same problem. I suspect I know how they're blocking it, but long story short, there is a workaround.

As below, intead of using the basic option, select Advanced, and put the URL in the URL parts textbox. Then, down in the HTTP request header parameters textbox, type User-Agent and then enter some useragent details. I use (I think) one of the more recent versions of chrome so mine is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.114 Safari/537.36

But then it should be fine again. When you click OK, it will load up as normal. Hope that helps.

View attachment 41371
I never would have figured this out. THANK YOU! It works great.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back