Drag and drop problem

Novak20

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
Whenever I drag and drop cells within an excel table I'm getting 'There's already data here. Do you want to replace it?', even if the target cells are empty. The data is then moved anyway, whether I choose either 'ok' or 'cancel'.

I've tried clear formats or clear all from the target cells, same problem. I happens even if I drag and drop one empty cell to another empty cell.

The problem seems to be specific to tables. If I convert the table to a range, the problem goes away. But with any table, I'm back to square one.

thanks.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
That will happen if you try to drag cells in from outside of the table but not if you drag them around in the table.
The data is then moved anyway, whether I choose either 'ok' or 'cancel'.
That shouldn't happen. Choosing cancel should do exactly what it says. If you have any vba events (worksheet change, selection change, calculate, etc) then it might be that the attempted drag is causing the code to execute and not allowing the cancel to function correctly.

Upvote 0
Thanks. It happens to cells within a table.
It doesn't seem to be vba: I've tried opening up a new workbook, constructing a table from scratch, and get the same problem.

The problem seems to be only with the query box showing up. If I try to drag and drop to a cell that has data in it and choose 'cancel', the data won't copy over. But if I move data to an empty cell, I get the 'There's already data ...' and copy and past happens whichever option I choose.

BTW, I've also tried deselecting 'Alert before overwriting cells' in the advanced options. The query box still shows up!

I'm using Office 365 on a PC.

Upvote 0
I've just tried a simple test with the table below. I can drag any of the numeric cells already in the table to the empty cell in the table without any problems. Likewise dragging D5 into the table from outside of it is not causing an issue.

When I tried similar with an existing table earlier I did notice an anomaly where dragging a cell in from outside of the table returned a notification even when the destination cell was empty.
Having tried again with that table I am not able to reproduce the error again, leading me to the conclusion that perhaps the cell had a nullstring that I hadn't deleted.

Manexcel.xlsx
ABCD
1abc
Sheet8

The only thing that I can suggest is to try a new table in a new workbook on another PC. If the same thing happens there then that at least tells us that it is something that you are doing rather than a problem with excel. If that is the case then it is just a matter of figuring out what you're doing differently.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back