Dragging Cell Contents

xl_psychic

Hi,

Im back with my queries. This time around its a bit different. Or it might be one of the common ones on the board. In my workbook, I have prevented the user from Copying/Cuting data. However there are cells which are meant for input purpose and hence not locked. I am facing a #REF problem whenever the user drags the contents of such cells.

Is there any way to prevent the user from doing the same.

(OS: WinXP, Excel 2000)

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
If you are disabling copy/cut in VBA, this:

Application.CellDragAndDrop = False

will disable drag and drop. Make sure to reset it to what it was afterwards or your user might be unhappy.

Upvote 0
Andrew Poulsom said:
If you are disabling copy/cut in VBA, this:

will disable drag and drop. Make sure to reset it to what it was afterwards or your user might be unhappy.
What does that mean... Will it affect the user in anyway. Please explain.

Upvote 0
Juan Pablo González said:
Well, it won't let him drag those cells, as you pointed initially in your question...
I was a bit confused with Andrew's statement. That's what I don't want my users to do. I was thinking that the code would affect the entire Excel application. Please confirm whether the code will only work within that specific workbook or will affect the entire application.

Upvote 0
It will affect the entire application (it's a property of the Application object). That's why I said be sure to reset it to what it was afterwards.

Upvote 0
Andrew Poulsom said:
It will affect the entire application (it's a property of the Application object). That's why I said be sure to reset it to what it was afterwards.
Okie, i tried the code but somehow it doesn't seem to work. This is what i have currently .... In my sheet Cell Range C10:H24 is unlocked and unhidden for data entry purposes.

Furthermore I have linked the information filled in C10:E24 onto other sheets. So whenever a user fills in a value in say cell C10 and then drags it to cell C11 then the cell linked to cell C11 shows me a #REF error while the cell linked to cell C10 continues to show me the related information. I want to stop this.

This is code in the backend for now.

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
With Me
.EnableOutlining = True
.Protect "password", UserInterfaceOnly:=True
End With
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

If Application.CutCopyMode = xlCut Or Application.CutCopyMode = xlCopy Then _

Application.CutCopyMode = False

End If

End Sub

Any workarounds???

Upvote 0
Where did you put the code? It should be in the Worksheet_Activate event procedure. And the code to reset it should be in the Worksheet_Deactivate event procedure.

Upvote 0
Andrew Poulsom said:
Where did you put the code? It should be in the Worksheet_Activate event procedure. And the code to reset it should be in the Worksheet_Deactivate event procedure.
I was trying to merge that with the code in Worksheet_SelectionChange. Is that the right way to do.

Can you please post the code if that's not a problem.

Upvote 0
You only need to set it once, not every time the user selects another cell.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() 
   With Me 
      .EnableOutlining = True 
      .Protect "password", UserInterfaceOnly:=True 
   End With 
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back