Dragging Formula with Cell Range not overlapping

ashtothemac

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to create a summary page for a large data collection workbook. I am running into an issue however when trying to drag my formula down through the column.
The formula is set to show as Done if there is a value in cells F4:F15 using =IF(COUNTBLANK(Sheet1!F4:F15)=12, "","Done")
I want to be able to drag it down so that the cell range will be discrete and not overlap, so that the next cell will show as Done if there is a value in F16:F27.
If this were a smaller workbook I would have given up by now, but its too large to manually type the functions.
A colleague suggested using INDIRECT and a function similar to this:
=IF(COUNTBLANK(INDIRECT("Sheet!F"&(ROW(D3)-1)*3+1):INDIRECT("Sheet1!F"&(ROW(D3)-1)*3+3))=3, "","Done")
But I am not familiar enough with it to know how to change the number of cells it is referencing. I will need to change it to reference between 2- 14 cells depending on the data.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Try

=IF(COUNTBLANK(INDEX(Sheet1!$F:$F,(ROWS(D$3:D3)-1)*12+4):INDEX(Sheet1!$F:$F,(ROWS(D$3:D3)-1)*12+15))=12,"","Done")

D$3:D3 refers to the cell that actually holds the first formula. (note the single $ symbol).

The number 12 (3 places) refers to the number of rows in the group, 4 and 15 refer to the first and last rows of the first group.

Your colleagues INDIRECT method uses a similar approach for groups of 3 rows, but INDIRECT is less efficient than INDEX.

Upvote 0
@ashtothemac
For future reference while we do allow Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Cross posted Discrete cell range when dragging formula through column

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back