Drop Down Box When False

Dan5977

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Hi all,

I can normally stumble through these things or at least get 90% of the way there but am at a loss on this one and would appreciate your help.

This is my current formula:
Excel Formula:
=IF(@'Bolted Base'!C38="None",'Bolted Base'!C39,'Bolted Base'!C38)

I want the first part to remain as it is. For the False part of the IF formula, however, I want it to return the same value currently but also allow a drop down box with a number of options. Basically, the result from the original formula is the default option but other upgrade options are available.

In sheet 'Bolted Base' each cell in the range C9:C36 will either be "Yes" or "No". For every cell in this range that is "Yes", I want the text in respective cells A9:A36 to be in the drop down box.

I'm now finally operating on Office365 and so have a few extra functions than I am used to.

The spreadsheet is a big one and I would like to avoid adding extra columns/helper cells. There is actually more to complicate it than I have specified above but I know if I can get this one issue resolved I will be able to manage/adapt the rest myself.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi all,

I can normally stumble through these things or at least get 90% of the way there but am at a loss on this one and would appreciate your help.

This is my current formula:
Excel Formula:
=IF(@'Bolted Base'!C38="None",'Bolted Base'!C39,'Bolted Base'!C38)

I want the first part to remain as it is. For the False part of the IF formula, however, I want it to return the same value currently but also allow a drop down box with a number of options. Basically, the result from the original formula is the default option but other upgrade options are available.

In sheet 'Bolted Base' each cell in the range C9:C36 will either be "Yes" or "No". For every cell in this range that is "Yes", I want the text in respective cells A9:A36 to be in the drop down box.

I'm now finally operating on Office365 and so have a few extra functions than I am used to.

The spreadsheet is a big one and I would like to avoid adding extra columns/helper cells. There is actually more to complicate it than I have specified above but I know if I can get this one issue resolved I will be able to manage/adapt the rest myself.

Thanks.
Hi Dan,

I don't think you'd be able to conditionally set each lists in that manner.

I'm guessing that given we're a couple of weeks down the track that you've managed to stumble upon a workable solution.

Are you using the same defined range for all of the possible upgrades, or are there different upgrades for each item?

If the upgrade options are the same, then you could just utilise an if statement in the data validation where if(C9="Yes", defined_range, default).

I don't know if this helps at all, but just trying to picture what you're trying to achieve.

Upvote 0
Thanks Roybzer.

I realised that a drop down box wasn't the answer in the end because using it would replace my formulas with text which would then prevent further functionality when changes are made.

So I had to approach it in a completely different way. Thanks though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back