Drop down Box

antman123

Board Regular
Is it possible in Excel to have 2 drop down boxex where the information in the second one depends on what is selected in the first one?

For example I have a big list in excel of names. Each name can be a part of Group A or Group B (this is specified in a column next to the name). I was wondering if you can have a drop down box where you would select either A or B and then the next drop down box would show only the names corresponding to that group. The list is arranged in order of name, not group.

Thanks for any help. Much appriciated. Ant

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Thanks for the help. Its not exactly what im looking for though. The example given there will list a specific column of data in the second box. I would like the second drop down box to display the names of people who belong to group A or B (depending on the selection made by the user). In that example, in the first box i would select NAME or GROUP and then it would list all the names or all the groups.

So im looking to see if its possible to select Group A in box one, and see all the people in group A in box two.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have tried to edit the solution given, but with no luck.

In fact, this solution is more complicated then what im trying to do..

Upvote 0
I think I have a solution for you. When you set up the list of items for the second drop down box using data validation, the 'source' box where you tell it where to look will allow you to put in a formula. Rather than just put a reference to the location of the list, put an 'IF' formula in so that it has two options of where to look. It will mean you will need separate list of names for Group A and B of course but I presume you can do this by sorting the current lilst.

I got it to work in the following way:
1. I had a drop down box in column A which allowed me to select X or Y
2. I had a drop down box in column B which allowed me to pick a name. One list of names was located at J3:J5, another at K3:K5.
3. When setting up data validation for the column B drop down I put the following formula in the 'Source' box =IF(A2="X",$J$3:$J$5,$K$3:$K$5)

The drop down in column B then shows a different list depending on whether I have select X or Y in column A.

Hope I have made this understandable and that it is what you need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back