Drop Down Dead!

nigelandrewfoster

I have a drop down list in one of my cells. The table it takes the list from contains a number of unused slots at the bottom (blanks). For some reason, when I click the button to display the list, it starts by displaying the bottom of the table - so you have to scroll UP through the list. This will confuse users as the bottom values are blank, if you understand me. How can I get the list to be displayed from the top (which seems a more logical thing for Excel to do anyway). Thank you for your interest.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Name the range you're using as a source for that drop-down using a dynamic range formula, something like:

=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A))

and use that name in the Data Validation formula (=name).

This will remove the blank rows and the drop-down will be displayed from the top. The drop-down will start displaying with the first match of the cell's value in the list and because the cell is initially blank...

Upvote 0
Thanks for your very helpful reply. I understand the logic of what you said and I'm sure it will work. However, please can you clarify the first bit? My range is currently called "alpha_prod" and it is defined as ='DIRECT INPUT'!$M$4:$M$196.

Upvote 0
Using the Name Manager (Ctrl+F3) change the formula (Refers to: ) for the name "alpha_prod" to:

=OFFSET('DIRECT INPUT'!$M$4,0,0,COUNTA('DIRECT INPUT'!$M$4:$M$203))

The range used in the COUNTA function has to be large enough to accommodate the record numbers expected to be added in time - you may change this range to a larger one if you think that the number of items on column M will increase to more than 200 in time. If you have only 5 cells in the 'DIRECT INPUT'!$M$4:$M$203 range, the formula will return the range with only 5 rows, when you add more data into that range (with no blank cells in between) the OFFSET based formula will return a range with those new data included - that's why it is called "dynamic".

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's great. I had read a little about dynamic ranges, and how they relate to expanding bar charts as you add data, but your explanation is clearer.

Upvote 1
I came to this website looking for help on this subject. I don't have my file right in front of me at the moment but I'm certain that I use a dynamic range offset for one drop down list and it keeps going to the bottom as well. It suddenly started doing this when I used another type of offset for a list to find a range of cells in 1 column and display in a dropdown - I used to have data in different columns with a bunch of different dynamic range drop-down list and thought it would be easier to have one list column and one formula only which works well.

Is it possible the two types can conflict?

I tried deleting and replacing my Dynamic named range drop-down setup and clearing contents from the cell. It still happens

This is the link/info to the "other" type dropdown I'm using. So would a basic named range dynamic dropdown fight/conflict with a dynamic dependent?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back