drop-down list error

silvanet

I followed the Excel Help directions to the letter creating a drop-down list with an outside spreadsheet reference, but when I went to finish, I got a pop-up error message saying "You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation criteria." What's that all about? The instructions clearly say that you CAN use references to other worksheets or workbooks!

I do not like to spend a lot of time to reproduce your error.
You can send me the thing and I can look at it.

at the same time, I can send you what I have

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
OK, those instructions are missing a step. You need to define a name in the source workbook as well, then refer to that name when creating the name in the workbook where you want to use the validation list. So if you define a name in WorkbookB.xls called ListData that refers to the range you want to use as the list, then in WorkbookA to use this as the Validation source, you need to define a name (say MyList) that refers to =WorkbookB.xls!ListData and you can then use =MyList in the Data Validation source box.

I managed to create the same error, finding this thread to resolve, thanks a million. Is it possible to still have the drop down list with WorkbookB closed?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back