Drop Down list flickering

Misca

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got some drop down lists on a worksheet. The lists use named ranges to get their data from and you can fire different macros using the drop downs.

When I fire a macro or activate the sheet, all the drop down list seem to flicker/flash for a second or so (I guess they're populating the lists when the flickering happens. And there's really no need to repopulate the lists because they're all static lists.). How do I get rid of this? It has no effect on how the macros work but it looks annoying when it happens.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Maybe add Application.ScreenUpdating = False to your macro and don't forget to reverse it at the end of the macro with Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Upvote 0
I don't think the macros are causing the flickering. There's no macros for any of the events and the drop downs are only used to fire the macros.

The flickering takes place when the drop downs are loaded = before any of the macros are run. All the macros do have the Application.ScreenUpdating=False in the code already.

Upvote 0
I really do not have a good explanation for why you get the flicker then...maybe somebody else will jump in with some advice.

Upvote 0
did you get to the bottom of this? I to am suffering from my comboboxes flickering when I select the sheet. Some of my images also do this to - very confusing

Upvote 0
Nope. Nothing I've come up with seems to do anything about the flickering.

I'm thinking turning the screen updating off on Sheet Activate event for 5 secs or so might hide the flickering but that doesn't really solve the problem. Plus the flickering also takes place after I run my macros on that page so I should run the same delay macro at the end of each macro = it would just slow everything down (which I hate even more than the flickering itself).

But the flickering still happens and I'm feeling ashamed of myself whenever somebody uses that template (= several times a day).

Upvote 0
How about posting some of your code?

Data Validation drop downs shouldn't cause any "flickering" in and of themselves. That behaviour is generally linked to code.

Upvote 0
There's no code to post: The drop down lists get their values from named (dynamic) ranges and the flickering seems to happen when they load the values from the lists. Maybe I should type the values (5-20 values in 5 or 6 drop down lists) instead of using the ranges? Or maybe I should try using a macro to load the values instead of named ranges? The macro solution might solve the problem with the screenupdating turned off...

The drop down lists are used to fire different macro (= select case based on the chosen value is used to choose which macro to run).

On the first line of the code in each of the macros the screen updating is turned off so everything looks fine & still until the macro has finished. Then the drop down lists seem to load the (same) values again and the flickering takes place. This is after the macros have run and the screen updating is turned back on (= takes place when the macro has finished: No "Application.ScreenUpdating=True" to be found from the code).

Upvote 0
How you populate the data validation shouldn't have any bearing on it. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen what you're talking about it without macro involvement.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back