Drop Down List of values into a VBA variable #ThinkingCapOn

WarPigl3t

A
Drop Down List

<tbody>
</tbody>
Imagine A1 has a Drop Down List(DDL) and there are 3 values in that list.
Values:
  1. dog
  2. cat
  3. unicorn
I want a Subroutine to be activated on button click event.
I know how to attach a Subroutine to a button.
I want to know how to pass the values of the drop down list into a variable in VBA.
So variableDDL(0) should be "dog"
variableDDL(1) should be "cat"
variableDDL(2) should be "unicorn"
I also need to know how to count how many values there are in that array. In this array, there are 3 values(dog,cat,unicorn).
My goal here is to select one of those three values and display it in cell A1. I want it to choose one of those values at random.

*Backround: The above example is just to explain things easily. My actual excel file is an Employee Work Schedule Builder. I want the schedule to build itself at the push of a button. I'm just letting you know so you don't think that I'm doing something stupid with dogs, cats, and unicorns. haha

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
How was the drop down list set up? If it's data validation, does it use a range, or a comma separated list?

Upvote 0
I have a list of values in other cells. Lets say for this example that I have this table.
AB
1Drop Down Listdog
2cat
3unicorn

<tbody>
</tbody>
I used the Name Manager located in the Formulas tab to insert a formula.
='Schedule '!$R$55:INDEX('Schedule '!$R$55:$R$105,COUNTIF('Schedule '!$R$55:$R$105,"?*")+1)
That is my actual formula for the sheet I'm really working with. So let me try to convert it to what my example is using.
='Sheet1'!$B$3:INDEX('Sheet1'!$B$3:$B$10,COUNTIF('Sheet1'!$B$3:$B$10,"?*"))
Okay so this formula will look at cells B3:B10 and only display the values dog, cat, and unicorn because there is no other data in the other 7 rows. It will not leave blanks in the drop down list for where the other 7 rows would normally go if there were values in them.
In the Data Validation screen located in the Data tab, I turned cell A1 into a List. I then type the name of the Formula that I mentioned in the previous step. Lets say I called that formula dynamicList when I made it. So now in the Source area in the Data Validation screen, I typed =dynamicList.

If you would like to get a clear picture of what I'm working with, you can watch my instructional video of how to operate the file. Skip to 2:12 to see where the dynamic list comes into play.
http://youtu.be/kwpuDaCgZ3M

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In that case, something like:
Code:
Dim v
    v = Application.Range(Mid$(ActiveCell.Validation.Formula1, 2)).Value
should give you an array containing the values - it will be a 2D array, rather than 1D though. If you must have 1D for some reason you can simply transpose it.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestion. I will research those commands that I am unfamiliar with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back