Drop Down List Unprotect/Protect Sheet

thatkat

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I have a sheet with a drop down list made using data validation. The value selected in the drop down list functions as the lookup_value for a bunch of vlookups. I'd like to "protect" the sheet in some way as the users are not necessarily Excel savvy and I don't want the vlookups being messed with. However, protecting the sheet through the Protect Sheet function will not work, I believe because the calculation cells technically "change" with the drop down selection.

From reading online, it seems like the answer is to add an ActiveX combo box and use VBA to tie an unprotect and then a protect command to the dropdownclick event? Basically to allow the sheet to be unprotected for a moment, perform the calculations, and then be protected again? However, I am new to macros/VBA and out of my depth. Any suggestions or assistance would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
You can exclude the cells with the drop down data validation and allow just those to be changed when the sheet is protected by unchecking the "Locked" box for those cells using the protection tab of the cell format dialog.

1633476265744.png

Upvote 0
Solution
You can exclude the cells with the drop down data validation and allow just those to be changed when the sheet is protected by unchecking the "Locked" box for those cells using the protection tab of the cell format dialog.

View attachment 48424
Hi thanks for responding.

I could have sworn this wasn't working last night, but now it is doing exactly what I needed it to do. Ended up locking and hiding the formulas in the calculation cells. Don't do Excel work when tired I guess. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back