Drop down list values?

Wipper2000

A bit of a stab in the dark really, but I'm trying to do an Excel spreadsheet at work to make costing individual items easier and quicker. I'm getting there slowly as I'm no expert on Excel, but have come to a bit of a standstill and hope someone, somewhere may be able to help with the following:

I have a cell that has a drop down list containing various fabrics we use. I want to put a value to each fabric so that I can provide a different final price depending on which fabric is selected from the drop down box.

Can this be done?
shrug.gif

Does anyone actually understand what I'm on about?
thinking.gif

Thanks for looking
thumbs.gif

Gareth

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Is your drop-down box a data validation box? If so, it is taking the data from a range somewhere. In the cells next to each item, enter the cost then use a simple VLOOKUP in the cell next to the validation cell:

=VLOOKUP(A1,$A$100:$B$200,2,0)

Edit to fit your circumstances.

Upvote 0
A bit of a stab in the dark really, but I'm trying to do an Excel spreadsheet at work to make costing individual items easier and quicker. I'm getting there slowly as I'm no expert on Excel, but have come to a bit of a standstill and hope someone, somewhere may be able to help with the following:

I have a cell that has a drop down list containing various fabrics we use. I want to put a value to each fabric so that I can provide a different final price depending on which fabric is selected from the drop down box.

Can this be done?
shrug.gif

Does anyone actually understand what I'm on about?
thinking.gif

Thanks for looking
thumbs.gif

Gareth
Sounds like you want to create a lookup table.

See this:

http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

Upvote 0
Crikey, thanks for the very quick responses. It looks like the Vlookup should do the trick - if I can work out how to do it.

The cell with the drop down is a data validation cell and therefore has the list on the page which it is linked to. I don't seem to be able to get it to link to a table on sheet 2?

The vlookup looks like it may be pretty complicated for a novice like myself but I'm willing to try. :eek:

Upvote 0
Crikey, thanks for the very quick responses. It looks like the Vlookup should do the trick - if I can work out how to do it.

The cell with the drop down is a data validation cell and therefore has the list on the page which it is linked to. I don't seem to be able to get it to link to a table on sheet 2?

The vlookup looks like it may be pretty complicated for a novice like myself but I'm willing to try. :eek:
How to setup a data validation drop down list

Excel versions 2003 and earlier
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM

Excel versions 2007 and later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI7XCv07AAg

Upvote 0
Did you give the source list a defined name?

No - I was selecting the list by highlighting the entire column (so I can add to the list as and when required). The problem is that when I want to move the list onto sheet 2 (out of the way) it won't let me move from sheet 1.
Do I have to name the list somehow? How then do I tell the data cell to look for that list?

Sorry for being a bit thick. :(

Upvote 0
No - I was selecting the list by highlighting the entire column (so I can add to the list as and when required). The problem is that when I want to move the list onto sheet 2 (out of the way) it won't let me move from sheet 1.
Do I have to name the list somehow? How then do I tell the data cell to look for that list?

Sorry for being a bit thick. :(
What version of Excel are you using?

What is the data type of the items in the drop down list? Is it text, numbers, both?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back