Drop Down lists

snash

Board Regular
Hi there,

In Sheet 1, In Column A, customer's name will be entered, using a drop down list. In Column B, the sales order will be selected from a drop down list.
If I have a data export of all customers and their sales orders in Sheet 2, how can I get this in Sheet 1 for the sales order drop downs?

Hope this makes sense.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
You can create a range name from the import file of the customer's names. Use that range name to make your dropdown list in Column A.

Upvote 0
So I can do a dropdown list of all customers using data validation and that's fine in Column A. But then in column B, I want only the orders associated to that particular customer to appear as a drop-down. Sheet 2 has hundreds of lines of all customers with all their sales orders.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Well, having a data validation with hundreds of lines of customers, would be difficult to work with. When I need a data validation drop down, but the list will be long, I use some "helper columns" to allow the user to enter in a few characters in the drop down box, then hit the drop down arrow and only the entries contained in entry, will show in the drop down box. Depending on the characters used, you can take a list of 2500 or so and make a drop down list containing 8-10 items.

I have a workbook that has examples of your interested. Can we upload files into here?

Upvote 0
I see we can't upload a file (or I don't know how) I can e-mail it to you, if your interested. (moderators, I hope I'm not violating any policies.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back