Drop-down Menu/Automatic Calculation and Input

Heather2

On the left side of the "January" spreadsheet page, I have made a large section that totals all of the manually-entered data for each column (e.g. "Mortgage/Rent" and "Maintenance," which are programmed to automatically combine in the "Housing" total.). I have created the spreadsheet to automatically total the columns and rows to give me: 1) the combined total daily cost of all items, 2) the total monthly cost of each category (e.g. "Housing," "Utilities," "Insurance"), 3) the combined total monthly cost of all items, 4) the total yearly cost of each category, and 5) the combined total yearly cost of all items. However, I want to take this one step further, by allowing me to enter in my "Daily Expenses" and having all of the pages of the spreadsheet automatically update.

On the right side of the "January" spreadsheet page, I have created 31 smaller sections that represent my "Daily Expenses." I have included columns for the "Category" of the expense, the "Item" name, the "Cost." The "Category" section is a drop-down menu including all of the 48 categories (e.g. "Mortgage/Rent," "Maintenance," etc.) Above each of these 31 sections, I have written "1," "2," "3," etc. to indicate the date. So, what I would like to know is:

Is there any way to program the computer to read the "1" date and the "Mortgage/Rent" category and automatically transpose the "$1,000" I input by hand into the appropriate cell in the larger spreadsheet to the left? For example, if my "Daily Expenses" are as follows, how can I cause the computer to add all "Grocery" spending from the drop-down list and input the total in the correct cell on January 1st?

CATEGORYITEMCOST
GroceriesShaws6.41
GroceriesHannaford15.93
Parkingparking meter2.50
GroceriesWal-mart10.57

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hello,

Just as an example, if we assume your Table is in A1:C5 ... you could test

Code:
=SUMIF(A2:A5,"Groceries",C2:C5)

Hope this will help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back