Drop Down with Description

Escarabajo

I am trying to understand how I can create a drop down list that also includes a brief description.

For example:
Value = 1200
Description = Project Coordination

I only need the value but need a description so people know what the value 1200 stands for.

Is this something a VBA routine needs to be written?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
drop down list?
Which one?
- Cell validation
- Form combobox in sheet
- Combobox Activex
- Userform combobox

Where is your information (sheet-columns)

Upvote 0
Hi Dante,

Right now it is "cell validation" which only allows me to create a drop down list of the Value without a definition. I am open to any suggestions.

Upvote 0
It is a proposal, concatenates in column A the key (column B) and description (column C).

The validation list would be from the A2 down

In cell E2 I put the cell validation.
In F2 I put a formula to obtain the key of what is selected in E2.

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:134.97px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:98.85px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:106.46px;" /><col style="width:97.9px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="background-color:#ffff99; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Concatenate</td><td style="background-color:#ffff99; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Value</td><td style="background-color:#ffff99; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Description</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ffff99; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Drop down</td><td style="background-color:#ffff99; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Value</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >1200 Project</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1200</td><td >Project</td><td > </td><td >1200 Project</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1200</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >1300 Process</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1300</td><td >Process</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >1400 Plan</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1400</td><td >Plan</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td >1500 Object</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1500</td><td >Object</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Formeln der Tabelle</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >A2</td><td >=B2& " " &C2</td></tr><tr><td >F2</td><td >=VLOOKUP(E2,A:B,2,0)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

-----
It would look like this

45ae9843884fa209c8d8304e1115c88c.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you Dante,

Yes this would work but not for my application. I haven't figured out how to past a screen shot so let me explain. I only have one column to work with and that is the Value column that would need to be the drop down as well. I am thinking creating a User Form with either Listbox / Combobox would be the ticket?

Thanks,
Dean

Upvote 0
Thank you Dante,

Yes this would work but not for my application. I haven't figured out how to past a screen shot so let me explain. I only have one column to work with and that is the Value column that would need to be the drop down as well. I am thinking creating a User Form with either Listbox / Combobox would be the ticket?

Thanks,
Dean

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding, first you say you have a validation cell and now you want a userform.
You wanted to see the description and now you say: "I only have one column to work with and that is the Value column"

Upvote 0
Dante sorry for the confusion, at first I thought I would need a validation cell and after seeing your example it would appear what I would need is a user form as follows where the Section Combo Box controls the table listed in the CBS Number combo box and then the description is displayed. When OK is selected the CBS Code in inserted in to the active cell.

24q3414.jpg
[/IMG]

What I have to work with is below the CBS Code column I currently have a drop box for.

9iussl.jpg
[/IMG]

The data I would be pulling from is the following

15zii0.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Dean

Upvote 0
Dante sorry for the confusion, at first I thought I would need a validation cell and after seeing your example it would appear what I would need is a user form as follows where the Section Combo Box controls the table listed in the CBS Number combo box and then the description is displayed. When OK is selected the CBS Code in inserted in to the active cell.

What I have to work with is below the CBS Code column I currently have a drop box for.

The data I would be pulling from is the following

Thanks,
Dean

Sorry, but now I do not know what you want to load and where you want to load it.
I understand, you want to select an item and put it in the active cell.

You could show all your data in a list box, click on an item and the item go down to the cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back