DropBox, Shared Folders and Link File Paths

kdrkdr

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I searched, but could not find a good solution.

Our company uses DropBox to sync and share folders between employees. We store Excel workbooks in these folders. We are having issues when using formulas in one workbook that link to data in another workbook in the same folder. Let's say User1 creates the formula and User2 opens the workbook, the links cannot update as the links are looking for User1's specific file path. As of now, DropBox is stored in each users folder in Windows, so the file path is currently unique to each employee. (We all run on different computers so do not confuse Users with logins on the same machine.)

I need a solid solution as stopping use of DropBox and links between workbooks is not viable. We are running a combination of Windows 7 and 8 and the most current version of Excel (Office 365). Here are options I've seen mentioned:

1. System or environmental variables in Windows to create a shortcut for each user's specific file path
  2. Symlinks
  3. Some type of VBA script to update
  4. Storing DropBox in the root directory of each computer to standardize the file paths

I'm not an IT guy, just an above average user. I know a little about this stuff but not enough to identify or implement the best solution.

Can anyone weigh in on the most solid future proof solution that will work as we add employees and are creating new file and workbooks on a daily basis? Once I have identified the best option I can work with my IT guy to implement. Thanks in advance!

StevieW

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem, and hours of google searches have brought me here. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelingtolearn

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...