DropBox, Shared Folders and Link File Paths

kdrkdr

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I searched, but could not find a good solution.

Our company uses DropBox to sync and share folders between employees. We store Excel workbooks in these folders. We are having issues when using formulas in one workbook that link to data in another workbook in the same folder. Let's say User1 creates the formula and User2 opens the workbook, the links cannot update as the links are looking for User1's specific file path. As of now, DropBox is stored in each users folder in Windows, so the file path is currently unique to each employee. (We all run on different computers so do not confuse Users with logins on the same machine.)

I need a solid solution as stopping use of DropBox and links between workbooks is not viable. We are running a combination of Windows 7 and 8 and the most current version of Excel (Office 365). Here are options I've seen mentioned:

1. System or environmental variables in Windows to create a shortcut for each user's specific file path
  2. Symlinks
  3. Some type of VBA script to update
  4. Storing DropBox in the root directory of each computer to standardize the file paths

I'm not an IT guy, just an above average user. I know a little about this stuff but not enough to identify or implement the best solution.

Can anyone weigh in on the most solid future proof solution that will work as we add employees and are creating new file and workbooks on a daily basis? Once I have identified the best option I can work with my IT guy to implement. Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem, and hours of google searches have brought me here. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back