Dropdown from list in different workbook

rickytb

Dear community,

In Excel, I am building a small database with information on employees, clients, invoices, etc. I have a separate file with some macros that I use to generate invoices. There are 3 things that I would like to have, where the first is required and the other 2 are nice to have.

1) In the file where I generate invoices, I would like to have a dropdown list with the employees and clients coming from the database file. I already found a way (link) where the database workbook needs to be open. However, I would like to have this stored on SharePoint or OneDrive instead. So an online file with database information and another workbook that is using the online file as a source for the dropdown list.
2) Is it possible to have the dropdown list searchable? Meaning that you type a few characters and then having the list updated based on those characters? I already found a way (link) that works with a dropdown in 1 field, but I would like to have this in a whole column.
3) Would it be possible in the invoice generation file, to take the highest invoice number from the database file and then generate it +1. Meaning that I will always have the invoice numbers adding up with 1. Lastly, it would even be amazing if I can update the database file with the latest invoice number and amounts.

I am doing this now in Excel (with reports in PowerBI), but if you have a better alternative to do this I am also open for that.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Regards,
Ricky

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back