Dropdown list disabled from 2000 to 2003

leroy221

I have a file that I created in Excel 2000 and am now trying to use it in 2003. The file has dropdown lists that are cell protected so that the list is the only valid choice and nothing else can be entered. The worksheet is also protected so no one can manipulate it. The file is available on a network so many people use it, but it only works correctly on the 2000 machines. All of the new machines on our network (2003) need the worksheets unprotected to input data into the cells. If they are not unprotected the following error occurs: "The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read-only. To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the Unprotect Sheet command (Tools menu, Protection submenu). You may be prompted for a password."

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this?
Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

SydneyGeek

MrExcel MVP
Hi Leroy,

If you are using dropdown lists, are those combos or validation lists?

With validation lists, the user is automatically prevented from entering anything *not* in the list. Under these circumstances (1) there is no need to protect those cells -- the validation handles it. (2) You can unlock the validation cells (select them then Tools > Protection > uncheck Locked). When you protect the worksheet again you should be OK.

By the way, is this set up as a shared workbook?

Denis

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yardcell

This Week's Hot Topics