Dropdown results matching name in table, result in relevant email address in another cell

Jackman1

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at creating a link to an email address where a Dropdown list matches a name in a table and results with the relevant email address being displayed in another cell.

Eg
Dropdown selected in Sheet1 P4 - is "Joe Blogs"
In Sheet 1 P5 I want this to display JoeBlogs@gmail.com

Multiple names and emails (up to 5) will be in the same columns as per the table below (contact 1 = email 1, contact 2 = email 2 etc)

1681202388856.png

So if dropdown request matches cell in column E display relevant name from column F, etc

Each row is relevant to a different customer, hence the format.

Hope that make sense.

Thanks for any assistance offered.

Shaun

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
This formula creates an email link:
VBA Code:
=HYPERLINK("mailto:"&SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","")&"@gmail.com",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","")&"@gmail.com")

Upvote 0
This formula creates an email link:
VBA Code:
=HYPERLINK("mailto:"&SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","")&"@gmail.com",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","")&"@gmail.com")
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Apologies, I should have explained, I don't really require the hyperlinks, just the email address to be displayed which matches the relevant name associated with it. I'm currently trying VLOOKUP and INDEX/MATCH but struggling, not sure if what I'm requesting is possible. I though a table format may help?

Below is what I want to be displayed in Sheet1 P5 (Hyperlink or no hyperlink, not critical) based on contact being selected from the dropdown selected in P4;

1681204721117.png

Upvote 0
It depends, your data isn't laid out very handy to retrieve this information, as there are multiple columns. If you reshape your data into two columns: Name and Email address then fetching the email address with a name is indeed simple. If you insist on keeping your current layout, which rules do you have to determine in which column the search must be done and from which column you want to fetch the email address?

Upvote 0
It depends, your data isn't laid out very handy to retrieve this information, as there are multiple columns. If you reshape your data into two columns: Name and Email address then fetching the email address with a name is indeed simple. If you insist on keeping your current layout, which rules do you have to determine in which column the search must be done and from which column you want to fetch the email address?
The problem I have have is that each customer has multiple contacts. In this example 2 contacts. Would it help if the two columns are merged? eg
Instead of Contact 1 and Email 1, 1 column contains both name and email "Joe Blogs JoeBlogs@gmail.com", contact 2 becomes "Rachel Dunne RachelDunne@icloud.com

Sorry if confusing, I'm just trying to calculate a work around.

Another option may be to replicate customers to I only have one column of contacts, and one column of email addresses. This would be my last option.

Upvote 0
You could use the VSTACK function (requires a Microsoft 365 license) to stack the contact names on top of each other:
=VSTACK(Table1[contact1],Table1[contact2],Table1[contact3])
=VSTACK(Table1[email1],Table1[email2],Table1[email3])
Then you can have your drop-down refer to the first range and use an xlookup against the two combined?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back