Dropdown that stays updated and autopopulates two adjacent cells: staff role and pay rate

Machead

Hello brilliant minds,

I maintain a workbook with Tab 1 being a staff list with role/titles and pay rates, and I update this as rates change or people get hired/leave. Subsequent tabs are devoted to different grants, and I use the info from tab 1 to schedule hours for each grant-funded project to ensure budget adherence.

I would like to make it easier to schedule for each project on the subsequent tabs by automating entry of the Role and Hourly Rate on each Project Tab when I select a staff member. I'm thinking I need to use a dropdown menu for the staff names, otherwise small variations in spelling could negate the automation. Side note: It would be amazing if the dropdown menu could be in alphabetical order; however, I can't just alphabetize the staff list tab bc it is divided into different offices, with a blank row separating each office. Staff from different offices get scheduled on the same projects. I don't know if I need to have an extra tab I keep hidden but imports and reorganizes the staff list in a better way when serving as the reference of said awesome drop down, but I'd like to be able to update the main staff list tab without unintentionally causing previously selected names on the projects tab to change because the employee list has changed.

Here is what I'm basically working with, but with more fun sounding employee names: Sample workbook

TYSM

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back