Dropdown with Searchable Text Without Hitting Enter

c.clavin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi guys, I recently watched a YouTube video where FILTER and SEARCH is used to pare down a search query for a dropdown list. It seems like just by typing letters the dropdown list was able to automatically update and the dropdown had only the returned results displaying. I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong, but I need to hit Enter in order for the dropdown to update based on what I just typed in. I remember from ages ago there were different cell types where it worked with or without hitting keys, I completely forgot over the years. Can anybody help me with this? Video at the exact moment linked below. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
@c.clavin
If you're interested in another method for searchable dropdown:
I created an add-in for searchable data validation (with combobox) , called "Search deList", and I'm sharing it as freeware.
Its function is to speed up the search in the data validation list. It works on multiple cells. In any cell that has data validation (with List type) pressing ALT+RIGHT will open a User Form with a combobox. You can type multiple keywords (separated by a space) in the combobox to search items on the list. It's a "live search", you get search results while you type.
By using this add-in, you don't need VBA to have this searchable combobox, so you can save your files as .xlsx.
You can find it here:

Upvote 0
It appears it's a Mac thing. When I go on Windows 10/11, there is no need to hit enter/click out of the cell. That's strange, I thought both versions are based on the same code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back