DSUM referencing an external file causes file size to increase massively

PFVP

Hi,

I am analyzing a large amount of data for a project, and so I am attempting to use the Database functions within Excel to speed up the analysis. However, after I set up the first set of DSUM equations, my file size jumped from ~50k to ~40MB! Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are the details:
- I am using Excel 2007, and Windows XP Professional. My files are .xlsx
- My data is contained in 8 source files, each of which has ~500,000 rows and 17 columns, and consequently each source file is ~40MB.
- As I have multiple source files, I have tried to create one summary / calculation file which referenced the source files. This file pulls data from the source files using DSUM equations.

I was able to set up the first DSUM calculation correctly, and it pulled the correct value. However, when I saved the calculation file, its size jumped from ~50k to ~40MB. I have tried the usual tricks of deleting all columns and rows past the active part of the worksheet, checking for blank cells and clearing all, closing and re-opening the file, etc., but the size of the file remains unchanged.

I am wondering if there is something about using DSUM to reference the source file (an external file) that causes Excel to store the contents of the source file in the calculation file, thus causing the massive increase in file size? Or is there another reason for the increase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PFVP

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torchwood72

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back