Duplicate data entries from dropdown menus

iblech

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello,
I'm working on a personal project and I have the following problem:
I have drop down menus in 13 rows of one column.. These dropdown menus have some overlapping values and some distinct values (on purpose).

For example, Row 1 dropdown might have (1, 2, 3, 6, 7), Row 2 (2, 4, 5, 6), Row 3 (1, 7, 8, 9)
What I want to do is to allow the user to pick from the dropdown menu whatever they want HOWEVER if there is a repeat I would like an error to appear and the ability for the user to then change the previous entry.

So....let's say for Row 1 I choose "2" and then move to Row 2 and try to choose 2 again, an error should appear saying "You've already entered that value", but I should be able to go back to Row 1 and then select "6" if I want to OR change my selection for Row 2 (my decision). I want all the options to remain in the dropdown menus so I can decide also decide which I prefer (that is, I do not want the "2" to disappear from dropdown menu in Row 2, I just want an error to appear if I've already selected it.

I have made a data validation column that is keeping track of the entries as I enter them so that I know when duplicates exist but I don't know how to incorporate that into what I want the macro to do.

One last thing, this macro is obviously dynamic and needs to be activated when the dropdown entry is selected.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back