Duplicate Rows in Query

jarett

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Struggling to understand some of the post on this issue, I think this is the closest example that I found, Access query expression builder is creating duplicate rows in query, please help.. However I am not 100% sure because some records produce the correct query results and no duplicate rows. My first query is simple with one inner join looking for "PurchaseOrderNo" in two tables (I can post SQL if needed). I am assuming the second query is my problem, can anyone see if I need to add another query to elimanate some of the records? SQL below
SQL:
SELECT Lapco_PO1.PurchaseOrderDate, Lapco_PO1.PurchaseOrderNo, IIf(IsNull(PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution!QuantityOrdered),([Lapco_PO1]!QuantityOrdered),PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution!QuantityOrdered) AS [Qty Ordered], Lapco_PO1.ItemCode, PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution.LotSerialNo, IM068_MXPUnivProdCode.UpcCode, Lapco_PO1.ShipToName, Lapco_PO1.ShipToAddress1, Lapco_PO1.ShipToAddress2, Lapco_PO1.ShipToAddress3, Lapco_PO1.ShipToCity, Lapco_PO1.ShipToState, Lapco_PO1.ShipToZipCode, Lapco_PO1.ShipToCountryCode, Lapco_PO1.FOB, Lapco_PO1.ShipVia, Lapco_PO1.UDF_USEREMAIL, Lapco_PO1.DateCreated, Lapco_PO1.TimeCreated, Lapco_PO1.Hour, TimeSerial([Lapco_PO1]!Hour,[Lapco_PO1]!Minute,[Lapco_PO1]!Seconds) AS [Order Time], Lapco_PO1.LineKey
FROM (Lapco_PO1 LEFT JOIN PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution ON (Lapco_PO1.ItemCode = PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution.ItemCode) AND (Lapco_PO1.PurchaseOrderNo = PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution.PurchaseOrderNo)) LEFT JOIN IM068_MXPUnivProdCode ON (PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution.ItemCode = IM068_MXPUnivProdCode.ItemCode) AND (PO068_MXPPOTierDistribution.LotSerialNo = IM068_MXPUnivProdCode.LotSerialNo)
ORDER BY Lapco_PO1.LineKey DESC , Lapco_PO1.PurchaseOrderNo DESC;

The highlighted records are examples of some of the records that are duplicated, however in the next example the records only produce one row for the unique "PurchaseOrderNo", I dont know if it is because that particular PO only has one line on it so it doesn't meet all the criteria for access to create more than one result?
Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

All good info, but is this being overlooked as the likely reason?
...not sure if it is because of the pass through or maybe because I added another query to the sequence

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
All good info, but is this being overlooked as the likely reason?
As I am just a beginner in all this, the example from the previous person in my position that created the DB I am using as a guide had two queries that were created that linked to a PTQ (same table on both queries). This is what I added, previous I had one query linking one query to one table then the table to a third table (all in same query). I switched it to one query linking a query to a PTQ then the result of that query put into another query linked to the same PTQ. If that makes any sense I think that might have eliminated some of the over lapping relationships.

Upvote 0
I can't fault your reasoning or your effort although in this particular case rearranging the queries by adding one is not by itself good or bad - it might make things better but it might not. When I look at your query there is nothing wrong with the syntax or the join structure - but whether it produces duplicates or not is entirely dependent on the structure of the tables that are joined to and the data in those tables. So that is why I am pointing you towards investigating your data sources - you have to know your data in order to write good queries.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back