Duplicates between 2 rows

jmaresca

Hello everyone! I have something I am working on but its driving me a little bats at the moment and I am hoping someone can help.

I have a spreadsheet with two columns. Each column has a list of keywords in it. I am trying to compare column 2 against column 1 and place the unique keywords into Column 3. When I try doing this my way excel is not comparing exact keywords.

For example, if I have a keyword phrase in column 1 that is "unique bedroom layout ideas" and in column 2 there is a keyword phrase "bedroom layout ideas" excel seems to be calling these duplicates. Obviously the later part of the phrase is duplicated however these are in fact unique versions and I would like to place all of the uniques in that 3rd column based on what I just mentioned.

Any help would be greater appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hello and welcome,

How are you performing the task? Formulaic or VBA? Either way can you post what you have?

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Code:
Sub jmaresca()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long

Ary = Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Value2
   With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For i = 2 To UBound(Ary)
         .Item(Ary(i, 1)) = Empty
         .Item(Ary(i, 2)) = Empty
      Next i
      Range("C2").Resize(.Count).Value = Application.Transpose(.Keys)
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sadly my work's firewall won't allow me to view files. I'm confused how Conditional formatting can be used to to compare 2 columns and add unique to a 3rd. That is way beyond my skills.

With VBA I could have done in a few lines of code but using Conditional formatting will be a job for other experts. I'm sure they can help.

Upvote 0
Sadly my work's firewall won't allow me to view files. I'm confused how Conditional formatting can be used to to compare 2 columns and add unique to a 3rd. That is way beyond my skills.

With VBA I could have done in a few lines of code but using Conditional formatting will be a job for other experts. I'm sure they can help.

It doesnt need to work by Conditional Formatting. This is just one of 2 ways I tried. Whatever gets the job done I think is best.

Upvote 0
Did you see my suggestion in post#4?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back